Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing open >

Pressing open

Pressing open

Old 01-01-2014, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I do a mixture of both. However when pressing open I like using a Strip Stick http://thestripstick.com/buy_products
We saw this at a QS and one of my friends bought one -so as soon as we got home we took it apart. All it is a piece of half round (I have found my local Home Depot carries this but Lowes didn't) covered with a piece of batting and fabric. so you can guess our next stop was to get some. When making them I actually used Fabric/Batting/Fabric so that the stick went in the little sleeve easier. It really does help
Thanks for that....H ome depot on my list for shopping day
Old 01-01-2014, 06:06 AM

I am a "fly by the seat of your pants" kind of quilter... to me, it depends how many seams are going to intersect... it there are more than 2, I often will press open. Then again, it depends on the fabrics I am using. Some fabrics seem to have a mind of their own, no matter how much moisture, starch, ironing strength or brute force, so then, I just let the seams do what they want. I don't think it really matters as far as how strong the seam will be. In a quilt, most seams are quilted thru, or nearby, so there really isn't a strain on them. In garment construction, there is more strain on the seams, and yet, most of them are pressed open!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
I like how open seams lay flatter so I usually open them, but if it's a pattern that nests, I'll press to the sides. Most often I have some to the sides (where they nest) and the rest open.
Same with me. I use a Clover notion ... a plastic seam presser (I know it has a name, but I can't think what) that has a flat angled end with which to "press" the seam allowances before I ever take a hot iron to them; saves getting burned fingers and, at least for me, saves time in the long run; so easy to press them with an iron when they are already opened and flat.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
Me too! Hate those burnt fingers.
I once had a pile of little HSTs to press open, so I finger pressed them open and stacked them face down in piles as I watched TV that night. The next morning, they were easy to put on the ironing board and finish the pressing with the iron. No burnt fingers.
That actually takes less time because you are opening the seam with both hands, not with one hand on the iron waiting for the other hand to get the job done. AND much less time with the iron heating! ! ! A win, win!
Old 01-01-2014, 07:57 AM

I was taught (1970's) to press them open, I still prefer them that way, they're flatter and there's no distortion of the block. I do use a shorter stitch. That said, for strip piecing, I just do them to the dark side.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:16 AM

I watched that episode last night and that statement perked my ears up too! I guess I will start pressing the way I think it's best in the situation at hand. I really want to try that inset block that he did - he made it look so easy!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:56 AM

I am a switch presser - sometimes open, sometimes to one side. Depends on the pattern but I really like open the best!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:24 AM

I mostly press open but at times I go to the side. The twisted wreath I am making now I pressed to the side and it would have been better to press them open as cutting around the twisted template would be easier not to have to go over that bulkier seam.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:41 AM

I have both a clothes and quilting background. I have done both, but I find with chain piecing especially, pressing seams open usually means the seam starts coming almost immediately. Also if butting seams, with my walking foot Pfaff, I usually dont even need to pin a seam at the junction if I have each seam heading the opposite way. So mainly I press to the dark side.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:56 AM

I am the same. Less bulk when open. I tend to do it open a lot. Its easier to FMQ with less bulk.
Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
I am a switch presser - sometimes open, sometimes to one side. Depends on the pattern but I really like open the best!