Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prewash or not???...flannel for rag quilt?? >

Prewash or not???...flannel for rag quilt??

Prewash or not???...flannel for rag quilt??

Old 08-30-2014, 10:00 PM

Default Prewash or not???...flannel for rag quilt??

Hi All!
I have purchased a yard each of 24 flannels with the intent of making a large rag quilt for my DH for Christmas. I'm not sure if I should prewash the flannel or not?? This fabric is from Moda...but I have no idea how much it will shrink. Any advice? And..I was thinking of using 1/2 inch seams..or maybe 1 inch?? IDK...any advice on that?? I am planning on using the flannel for the front and back and warm and natural batting. Oh..another thing..I've read where you should take it to laundromat for the first wash after completion but I had a brainstorm. I am thinking of taking an old king size flat sheet and folding it in half and sewing it up...sort of making a huge bag to put the finished quilt in and then use safety pins to close the end..and throwing it in my own washing machine this way, I have a large top load machine that doesn't have the agitator. I was thinking then the strings would all be contained inside the huge bag through the wash, then take it outside and shake it out real good before putting it in the dryer, then clean the filter every 10 minutes or so. Do you think that would work?? This is my first rag quilt and want it to turn out nice.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:44 AM
Power Poster

I prewash everything, even prior to making a rag quilt. I have used 1/2 inch seams for my rag quilts, which works quite nicely. We don't have a laundromat near were we live, so I used our home machine and checked the filters frequently. I also used the vacuum to suck up threads. Your big bag idea sounds workable...I didn't put any of mine in the dryer (in Australia we line dry a lot). Checking the lint filters is really important, you don't want to have a fire start in the back of your dryer. Don't forget to show us when you are done....We looooove pictures.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:24 AM

I've only made 1 rag quilt. I do not under any circumstances recommend washing nor drying it in your machine. It was a mess. I'm so grateful that I took everyone's recommendation to wash it at the laundry mat.

I don't know that I'd bother with pre washing. It will shrink I also didn't put any batting in mine as it was a flannel front/back.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

I don't prewash if it's going to be a rag quilt. I also don't use batting, as the quilts are kind of heavy already, without it. As for washing, I just used my home machines.

You bought 24 yards of flannel for this quilt? Wow. Sounds like you could do at least 3 quilts with that much.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Unless you want the rag quilt to really go wonky, I would pre-wash your flannel. I didn't add any batting to mine but if you wanted more warmth, then I would add a layer of flannel inside. Might want to check into purchasing scissors made especially for cutting the edges since that can become hurtful and tedious on your hand.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I always prewash flannel, because it shrinks a lot, can shrink unevenly, and may also shed dye at first. Worst of all, some flannel pills, making it unsuitable for use on the front or back of a quilt. (It's still fine for the middle though.) I have had supposedly good flannel that did all of these, and cheap flannel that behaved beautifully. I use 3 layers of flannel instead of batting, so it doesn't have to be quilted at all. So far I have always washed and dried my rag quilts in my home machines, checking frequently for lint and strings. I have another one ready for snipping now, and since it's much larger than my previous ones I am considering taking it to a Laundromat.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:47 AM

If I'm making clothing out of flannel, then I prewash, for rag quilts I don't. I also say wash and dry at a laundry mat, especially if you're on a septic system. I usually use batting, either poly or cotton but not in the same quilt.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:30 AM

Thank for the replies and suggestions . I think I will just serge the edges of the yardage and go ahead and do the prewash..as was mentioned, I know flannel does shrink and I don't want the quilt going wonky and most of the pieces are dark colors too so bleeding might happen. I just hate having to iron all that yardage before I can start the fun part! Also..I bought a lot of yardage because I knew it would shrink and wanted to make sure I had enough and to allow for nice seams and last but not least, my DH is a big and tall guy, so he needs a HUGE quilt...lol! I am still a very new quilter so figuring yardage isn't my strong point yet. This rag quilt will only be my second quilt ever as well as my first raggie. I did consider not using batting in it but my DH freezes here at home because I keep the house very cool in the summer and about 60-65 degrees in the winter. I don't want to have to mess with going to a laundromat to wash the quilt..mainly because the nearest one to me that would have the huge machines is about 40 miles away..so that is why I thought maybe the big sheet sewn in half to wash the quilt in might work..so all the strings don't clog up my machine or plumbing.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:44 PM

I would not wash it in the sheet. All the lint will be trapped and will go on the quilt. Even using a laundromat i had fuzz all over the quilt.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:09 AM

Since you have to wash it when it's finished so it will RAG up, you do not wash it first. make sure you take it to the laundry mat to wash afterwards. The amount of lint is incredible. Their big dryers can handle it. Also use 1/2 inch seams when you sew your squares together so you have room to snip the edges.