Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prices and material choices? >

Prices and material choices?

Prices and material choices?

Old 06-16-2013, 02:56 AM

I make a lot of quilts for other people and give them the choice: (1) tell me your colors, and I will pick the fabrics. (2) Lets go shopping together and select the fabrics. (3) You go purchase your own fabrics. I also have a book of blocks that I give them to look at. I have selected a few blocks that they might like to choose from, and have the yardages already calculated ahead of time. I think different people will select different choices. I have done some each way, with considerable success.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:31 AM

I ask them what colors they want and then look for fabric in those colors. I give them a price range based on fabrics and size. If they want specific fabrics that will cost more I raise the price accordingly. I pick the pattern which is usually fairly simple and quick to assemble. The most expensive quilts I have made are a giant dahlia and my current project an oversize king out of 30's reproduction fabrics which you cannot find on sale. I have probably made over 20 quilts for others. You can never get enough money for labor but you are giving someone something you created and they cannot get elsewhere......
Old 06-16-2013, 07:06 AM

Normally I ask for color preferences and if they want an old-fashioned look or a modern look. Once, years ago, I gave someone more leeway, and I ended up having to sew together cotton fabric, sheet fabric, corduroy and minkie. After I was released from the institution, I thought I had learned my lesson. Recently a friend of the family wanted a quilt for her sister's baby. She wanted to choose the colors, fabrics, etc. She didn't want a standard pattern so I had to make something up and the fabrics/colors were the WORST EVER!!! I hated working on it, and I hated the finished product. She loved it and her sister loved it; however, when she sent me a picture of it with the baby, my eye started to twitch all over again!! Moral of the story...you're the designer, only give away as much power as you feel comfortable with. You want to enjoy working on your projects. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2013, 10:06 AM

Just remember when making a quilt for someone else, YOU don't have to like the colors, they do and if they are paying for it, don't let it bother you, just make it. As long as your not suck with it most likely you will never see it again so don't sweat the small stuff, will not make a bit of dfference in future. When my daughter got killed in a car accident at 15 I stopped worrying about small stuff, to many big things we have to contend with.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:23 AM

After making a baby quilt for someone who picked both the pattern and the colors and the fabric, I told myself I would never do that again. Hated every minute of working with colors I just did not like and procrastinated at every step. What I've done since then is to ask the customer what general "feeling" they want from their quilt and I will choose the fabric and colors (sometimes with the expert help of people on this board!). One customer said she wanted a "naturey" feel while waving her fingers through the air. I ended up making her an attic windows quilt out of leafy batiks with some life-like birds and florals worked in. She paid me twice what I had asked. Another customer asked that the quilt for her baby be "bright and colorful and cheery". This weekend I'm working on a quilt for a baby whose mother had asked for a "spa-like" feel - I'm making aqua houses on a white background. I always tell the customer that if they don't like what I've made, then they are under no obligation to buy it. Good luck with your new endeavour - you'll find the way of working that is perfect for you.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nurse2be View Post
Thank you all so much! Every bit of it is helpful appreciated insight! I truly love doing it and it is honestly a stress reliever for me! (Even though working with my sad little machine can be stressful!) lol
Just want to say I love your pink!
peace
Old 06-17-2013, 01:51 PM

Make sure you agree on a price for your work. My daughter altered 5 bridesmaid gown. She spent between 30or40 hours on the dresses. Used her needles sewing machine thread. Was suppose to get $100 ended up with a gift card she didn't want or need. She was mad and didn't say anything. So make sure you give a price. And be sure to get it in writing