View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 10:23 AM
ArtsyOne

After making a baby quilt for someone who picked both the pattern and the colors and the fabric, I told myself I would never do that again. Hated every minute of working with colors I just did not like and procrastinated at every step. What I've done since then is to ask the customer what general "feeling" they want from their quilt and I will choose the fabric and colors (sometimes with the expert help of people on this board!). One customer said she wanted a "naturey" feel while waving her fingers through the air. I ended up making her an attic windows quilt out of leafy batiks with some life-like birds and florals worked in. She paid me twice what I had asked. Another customer asked that the quilt for her baby be "bright and colorful and cheery". This weekend I'm working on a quilt for a baby whose mother had asked for a "spa-like" feel - I'm making aqua houses on a white background. I always tell the customer that if they don't like what I've made, then they are under no obligation to buy it. Good luck with your new endeavour - you'll find the way of working that is perfect for you.