Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   aaargh! Bird's nest on back!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/aaargh-birds-nest-back-t4154.html)

yarnball 01-20-2008 06:53 PM

Thank goodness I have been using a practice sandwich!

I'm getting that clunking noise and major ... MAJOR ... globs of thread on the bottom.

I've done all the suggested steps ... rethread both top & bobbin; tension up, tension down; changed threads;

It is so frustrating!

Is there a CLASSIC reason for the giant loopy glob of a mess of thread on the back???

Oh, & it definitely is the TOP thread that is coming through making the mess.

Thanks for your help,
yarnball

bj 01-20-2008 07:10 PM

This is probably a silly thing to say, but check your bobbin. Mine was doing that a while back and I had the bobbin in backwards.

Yvonne 01-20-2008 07:17 PM

Are you doing free motion? Did you put the pressure foot down? That's my usually mistake! Hope you find out what's wrong. I hope it's something really, really simple.

cutebuns 01-20-2008 07:24 PM

sometimes it is also the needls throwing things off.

Jothomas 01-20-2008 07:37 PM

When lint builds up UNDER the bobbin case, and it does that a lot when using all cotton fabrics for quilting, it creates the bobbin nesting mess. Clean frequently - don't use the air containers. Use a vacuum.

ccbear66 01-20-2008 08:47 PM

This may sound like a silly question but why shouldn't I use the air containers to clean my machine. I've been using these and haven't had a problem yet but I don't want to continue to use it if it is bad.

Jothomas 01-20-2008 09:20 PM

Most professional repair people say that it blows the dust and lint INTO crevices that you are trying to get them out of. Ok to use on top of your computer keys, though.

ccbear66 01-20-2008 09:22 PM

I guess I better stop using it on my sewing machine then. Thanks for the heads up.

Jothomas 01-20-2008 09:33 PM

You're welcome. Keep on quilting !

Country Quilter 01-21-2008 02:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yarnball..... I might be able to help.....it would help tho, to know what year, make and model your machine is........... .this was happening to me a few months back with my machine and I got so frustrated I put it on the shelf til I could afford to take it in for repairs.

Well, hubby and I bought a book on sewing machine repair instead...spent about the same amount of money as it would have cost for an hours work at the shop.

Found this out by reading the book and did this to my machine and it works fine now.

There is a plate UNDER the machine with two screws.....I took those screws out and removed the plate and found THIS!!! (see photo) Cleaned that out, put some grease on the gear that is under there (just a drop) and put the plate back on and VOILA!!!! The machine worked FINE after that!!!

SO....before you spend $50 or more at your machine shop, try that!!! CLEAN and oil it!