Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: aaargh! Bird's nest on back!!

Thank goodness I have been using a practice sandwich!

I'm getting that clunking noise and major ... MAJOR ... globs of thread on the bottom.

I've done all the suggested steps ... rethread both top & bobbin; tension up, tension down; changed threads;

It is so frustrating!

Is there a CLASSIC reason for the giant loopy glob of a mess of thread on the back???

Oh, & it definitely is the TOP thread that is coming through making the mess.

Thanks for your help,
    yarnball

bj
    This is probably a silly thing to say, but check your bobbin. Mine was doing that a while back and I had the bobbin in backwards.

Are you doing free motion? Did you put the pressure foot down? That's my usually mistake! Hope you find out what's wrong. I hope it's something really, really simple.

sometimes it is also the needls throwing things off.

When lint builds up UNDER the bobbin case, and it does that a lot when using all cotton fabrics for quilting, it creates the bobbin nesting mess. Clean frequently - don't use the air containers. Use a vacuum.

This may sound like a silly question but why shouldn't I use the air containers to clean my machine. I've been using these and haven't had a problem yet but I don't want to continue to use it if it is bad.

Most professional repair people say that it blows the dust and lint INTO crevices that you are trying to get them out of. Ok to use on top of your computer keys, though.

I guess I better stop using it on my sewing machine then. Thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome. Keep on quilting !

Yarnball..... I might be able to help.....it would help tho, to know what year, make and model your machine is........... .this was happening to me a few months back with my machine and I got so frustrated I put it on the shelf til I could afford to take it in for repairs.

Well, hubby and I bought a book on sewing machine repair instead...spent about the same amount of money as it would have cost for an hours work at the shop.

Found this out by reading the book and did this to my machine and it works fine now.

There is a plate UNDER the machine with two screws.....I took those screws out and removed the plate and found THIS!!! (see photo) Cleaned that out, put some grease on the gear that is under there (just a drop) and put the plate back on and VOILA!!!! The machine worked FINE after that!!!

SO....before you spend $50 or more at your machine shop, try that!!! CLEAN and oil it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had always only removed my throat plate and cleaned all the lint and stuff out of that area, bobbin area, etc. I wasn't aware I could get UNDER that area until I bought this book.

My hubby and I have since cleaned three other machines we own and got them running...only one needed a part to get it going and the part was only $4.95!

So most of them just needed a good going over with a toothbrush, Q-tip, and a piece of flannel!

What a GEM, you are for sharing info and even, giving us a picture. Thanks......

Becky..... I just hate to see somebody wasting $50 + on something they can do themselves.....this way you can spend the money on fabric!!! LOL

Blog Entries
    Please make sure your have the RIGHT SIZE bobbin. My bobbin was just a mm off and it that caused my machine to do the bird's nest. I know how this sets one back. Very aggravating isn't it? :D

I have been there done that. It was definitely a build up of lint and thread down in the bobbin case. It was just enough to cause the bobbin to not lay flat and caused the thread to get off par. Hope you get it figured out soon!

Where can we find this book? Is it availablre on Amazon? Sounds like something I could use.

First, Country Quilter, I want to buy that book, too! Do you have the title?

Thanks to all y'all for your ideas and help.

I have not gotten back to my quilting studio ... aka basement ... but will report back once I have tried out y'all's ideas.

yarnball

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=5708&cat_id=174
    www.Clotilde.com - Sewing Machine Repair As A Home Business

Here is where I got the book.....We got the first one as we thought maybe we might go into business part time... IF we feel confident enuf after repairing all of mine! LOL

but for just general maintenance the second one would have everything in it that mine does without the "going into business" part.

All good tips!

I did check with my Bernina dealer when I got my 155 and asked why they were so "inaccessable" for cleaning and is it alright for me to remove some screws to clean. They told it it would void my warrantee! I asked how they would know, and they said something about the computer tells them. It can even tell them how many stitches my machine has made!

My old 830 I could take it down to the skeleton practically. I could clean it, oil all the essential parts and put it back together. This was a major change with the upgrade. So be careful about taking a machine apart.

M

I agree with Country quilter. I used to work at a shop that ad a repairmen come in once every other week. It was my job to check all machines before he came in. Heres' what I did (at least half the machines coming in for repair just needed one of these thing) Change the needle even if it's new (they bend easily especially with the knots of tread), try a diff. bobbin making sure you wound it correctly and have it in bobbin case correctly. Rethread the machine. Clean underneath as already said, also clean inside of te bobbin case it may have a lint build-up. good luck marie

Country Quilter,

THANKS, THANKS, When I read your post I immediately went to my machine to try that. I had to remove the whole bottom of my machine but could not believe the lint I found. GREAT SHARE.

Country Quilter,

Thanks, Thanks, when I read your tip I went immediately to my machine to try it. I had to take the whole bottom off mine and I could not believe the lint I found. GREAT SHARE.

sometimes you need to use a different spool of thread for either the bobbin or the top spool. When I've had this problem with my machine and everything is clean, I'll switch the threads and the problem is solved.

Karen that has happened to me also..... certain kinds of threads won't work in some of my machines and of course I never remember to write down which ones they are! LOL One of my SK's will ONLY use cotton covered polyester! It is the fussiest machine I've ever owned! One of my other ones is not fussy at all and then I have one that I can't remember which brand it is but its the brand, not the type of thread, that it won't work with! Funny how that is!

But the good thing is as soon as it starts acting up, (any of them) I know what to check first!

Hello, all! Took me a long while to get to my studio aka basement and test out your good ideas!

It seems to be okay now. I guess sewing machines just go into a funk sometimes! I did everything ... changed thread, needles, bobbins, tension up, tension down, cleaned it up again, etc etc etc.

I love to come here and read all the wonderful ideas and get your input and experience.

Thank you!

yarnball

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast