Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Aaargh! Did I over oil my machine????

Blog Entries
    I was sewing away, but thought my new machine was noisy. So, I took all the stuff off and cleaned things up and dropped some oil here and there. I'm supposed to put a drop on the "hook" where the bobbin case is. I did--more than one. I put a drop on a few other places down there that moved too. I always oiled everything that moved with my old machine, so thought it was only a good thing.

NOW when I sew fast, the top thread loops--bunches up on the back. As long as I sew slowly, it's okay.

I've rethread and redone the bobbin twice. I've checked everything. It was sewing fine before--just sounded like it had a cold--stuffy nose.

Did I over oil? Will it work its way through and be fine?

:cry:

Ut oh.....that doesn't sound good. Maybe its just a tension thing, but if you didn't mess with the tension, then that couldn't be it, right?
    I just put on little drop of oil on the "wick thing" at my bobbin case and that's mainly all I do, except for the daily cleaning of lint. Anything else with my machine, I take it in to be done.
    I sure hope someone can help you out!!!

Oh my! I used to oil my old machine in every moving part too. My new machine has no instructions for oiling, just cleaning. It's hard not to oil them when you feel it needs it. I'd take a Q-tip and wipe eveything down, take the thread off and the bobbin out and turn it off for a few minutes. I wound up taking mine back because I had the same problem. Hate to tell you but it was operator error. Be extra sure that the top thread goes in or around each position, carefully. If you have a thread cutter, take about 2 stichtes and then cut the thread, then start sewing. Hope one of these ideas help.

Blog Entries
    Well--I did everything you said, Jackie. There was no oil on the Q-tips. The other two places I put a drop aren't near the needle, but are under there. As I experimented, then left it to iron or cut, every time I returned to try it again, it improved...I could go a little faster without the tension/loop trouble. The last time I tried it--I went fast--and it was normal! I smiled, turned it off, and will try again tomorrow.

I'll let you know what happens.
    Sigh..no more oil anywhere but on the bobbin hook.

Thanks for your help!

The book that came with my machine states in it no machine oil necessary.....do you have your book ?

It sounds to me you have used quilting thread in your machine.....the kind for HAND quilting .....it has a wax on it and will cause the problem you are speaking of....check the type of thread....or what you may have used previously.....Just a thought

Hopefully it worked itself out.

I hope it's all better!
    I NEED to see that Stairway to Heaven done!!!

My machine seems to know if I put the bobbin upside down I never had one that it specified......anyone else glad its ok

Blog Entries
    Hope your baby is well today Karla. The tech told me to just use 1 drop of oil if that. He said that that little tube of oil that came with the machine should last a lifetime! I hope you cured it. I would have done the same thing as you...living on a farm, well, we learn quickly that you need to oil stuff!

Blog Entries
    Well, it's fine if I sew aon the med speed, which is what I usually do. But the high speed still makes loops this morning. I emailed the seller and they said too much oil will cause tension issues. I'm going to change the thread when I get home and see what happens, otherwise I'll take the baby in to see them this weekend. Ugh.

The directions do say to oil, but yes, one drop. Sigh!
    Thanks!

during the times that you're not using it, try putting a doubled scrap of fabric under the needle, foot down. sometimes that lets extra oil wick it's way down and get absorbed into the fabric. i used to do that overnight sometimes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks butterfly wing--I'll do that tonight.

But--hopefully, it's better. I came home and (after feeding dogs, cat, rabbits, horses, and cleaning pastures...) I changed the thread in the machine and it's working even better. The tension is fine when I sew on the medium speed, and almost fine when I go fast. Now instead of looping, it just goofs the tension a litte--makes looser stitches in the back. But, changing the tension dial doesn't improve the situation. Surprisingly, all the fancy stitches I tried last night work perfectly.

So...I'm sure it's oil--too much--and I think it's working it out gradually. (I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope)

I don't want to take it to the shop this weekend--it's an hour away. I'm taking my son shopping for jeans and boots for Christmas this weekend--in the opposite direction. That's more important. :wink:

Blog Entries
    What it's doing now is looping when I fist sew--the first lines, then sewing perfectly afterwards, at all speeds...(well, that's today anyway) but overall I think it's making progress, as in holding correct tension more often. I'm going to see what's happening next weekend, then take it in if needed.

have you considered changing thread? its probably not the issue, but you never know. it's always worth a try.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I did! The sellers suggested it--so I wound another new bobbin too. It still looped afterwards, BUT I just sewed the last seam on 20 large heart squares and there was not one loop. :D :D I even went super fast on the last one. I think it's OKAY! Although, I won't be surprised if I see a loop at the start tomorrow. It's funny--but it's noisy again too. I guess it's normal noise. I'd prefer it was quieter. :roll:

ALSO YOU COULD TRY A NEW NEEDLE. HOWEVER IT DOES SOUND LIKE TOO MUCH OIL. WELL, I'M GLAD YOU REPORTED IT TO US! I WON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE. I ALWAYS FELT LIKE YOU ... THE MORE OIL THE BETTER BUT SO FAR HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM. WHAT KIND OF MACHINE DO YOU HAVE??

Blog Entries
    stay-at-home It's a Babylock Quest. I had changed the needled fairly recently, so I did all new thread, but not needle... going in to try in a few minutes....

With myn old machine the only result of too much oil might be oil on some fabric...it was mechanical though. I thought oil was good stuff! :shock: Lesson learned. I do hope this saves others from repeating this error.

Maybe if the machine keeps making the noise or is noisy, take it back and let the people who sold it for you listen to it. It might be something they can "tweek" on it to quiet it down.
    But, I'm glad it's pretty much back to normal.

Blog Entries
    I just sewed down the middle of yet another strip... and it looped only at top top speed, which I'd never use (do sewers really go that fast??? :shock: )

All other speeds had PERFECT tension.

Terri--when I tried machines out that day I remember liking the quietness of the Berninias and Janomes more. This one seemed noisier then--but I guess it's normal.

hmmm.....well maybe if you are in the area, you can try their babylock out again and see if it's noisy like yours