Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aaargh!  Did I over oil my machine???? >

Aaargh! Did I over oil my machine????

Aaargh! Did I over oil my machine????

Old 12-04-2008, 06:37 AM

Well, it's fine if I sew aon the med speed, which is what I usually do. But the high speed still makes loops this morning. I emailed the seller and they said too much oil will cause tension issues. I'm going to change the thread when I get home and see what happens, otherwise I'll take the baby in to see them this weekend. Ugh.

The directions do say to oil, but yes, one drop. Sigh!
Thanks!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:42 PM

during the times that you're not using it, try putting a doubled scrap of fabric under the needle, foot down. sometimes that lets extra oil wick it's way down and get absorbed into the fabric. i used to do that overnight sometimes.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:09 PM

Thanks butterfly wing--I'll do that tonight.

But--hopefully, it's better. I came home and (after feeding dogs, cat, rabbits, horses, and cleaning pastures...) I changed the thread in the machine and it's working even better. The tension is fine when I sew on the medium speed, and almost fine when I go fast. Now instead of looping, it just goofs the tension a litte--makes looser stitches in the back. But, changing the tension dial doesn't improve the situation. Surprisingly, all the fancy stitches I tried last night work perfectly.

So...I'm sure it's oil--too much--and I think it's working it out gradually. (I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope)

I don't want to take it to the shop this weekend--it's an hour away. I'm taking my son shopping for jeans and boots for Christmas this weekend--in the opposite direction. That's more important. :wink:
Old 12-05-2008, 04:29 PM

What it's doing now is looping when I fist sew--the first lines, then sewing perfectly afterwards, at all speeds...(well, that's today anyway) but overall I think it's making progress, as in holding correct tension more often. I'm going to see what's happening next weekend, then take it in if needed.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:32 PM

have you considered changing thread? its probably not the issue, but you never know. it's always worth a try.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:39 PM

Yes, I did! The sellers suggested it--so I wound another new bobbin too. It still looped afterwards, BUT I just sewed the last seam on 20 large heart squares and there was not one loop. :D :D I even went super fast on the last one. I think it's OKAY! Although, I won't be surprised if I see a loop at the start tomorrow. It's funny--but it's noisy again too. I guess it's normal noise. I'd prefer it was quieter. :roll:
Old 12-05-2008, 07:16 PM

ALSO YOU COULD TRY A NEW NEEDLE. HOWEVER IT DOES SOUND LIKE TOO MUCH OIL. WELL, I'M GLAD YOU REPORTED IT TO US! I WON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE. I ALWAYS FELT LIKE YOU ... THE MORE OIL THE BETTER BUT SO FAR HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM. WHAT KIND OF MACHINE DO YOU HAVE??
Old 12-06-2008, 05:33 AM

stay-at-home It's a Babylock Quest. I had changed the needled fairly recently, so I did all new thread, but not needle... going in to try in a few minutes....

With myn old machine the only result of too much oil might be oil on some fabric...it was mechanical though. I thought oil was good stuff! :shock: Lesson learned. I do hope this saves others from repeating this error.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:42 AM

Maybe if the machine keeps making the noise or is noisy, take it back and let the people who sold it for you listen to it. It might be something they can "tweek" on it to quiet it down.
But, I'm glad it's pretty much back to normal.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:51 AM

I just sewed down the middle of yet another strip... and it looped only at top top speed, which I'd never use (do sewers really go that fast??? :shock: )

All other speeds had PERFECT tension.

Terri--when I tried machines out that day I remember liking the quietness of the Berninias and Janomes more. This one seemed noisier then--but I guess it's normal.