Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
aaargh!  Bird's nest on back!! >

aaargh! Bird's nest on back!!

aaargh! Bird's nest on back!!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:28 PM

Country Quilter,

THANKS, THANKS, When I read your post I immediately went to my machine to try that. I had to remove the whole bottom of my machine but could not believe the lint I found. GREAT SHARE.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:32 PM

Country Quilter,

Thanks, Thanks, when I read your tip I went immediately to my machine to try it. I had to take the whole bottom off mine and I could not believe the lint I found. GREAT SHARE.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:06 AM

sometimes you need to use a different spool of thread for either the bobbin or the top spool. When I've had this problem with my machine and everything is clean, I'll switch the threads and the problem is solved.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:15 AM

Karen that has happened to me also..... certain kinds of threads won't work in some of my machines and of course I never remember to write down which ones they are! LOL One of my SK's will ONLY use cotton covered polyester! It is the fussiest machine I've ever owned! One of my other ones is not fussy at all and then I have one that I can't remember which brand it is but its the brand, not the type of thread, that it won't work with! Funny how that is!

But the good thing is as soon as it starts acting up, (any of them) I know what to check first!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:17 PM

Hello, all! Took me a long while to get to my studio aka basement and test out your good ideas!

It seems to be okay now. I guess sewing machines just go into a funk sometimes! I did everything ... changed thread, needles, bobbins, tension up, tension down, cleaned it up again, etc etc etc.

I love to come here and read all the wonderful ideas and get your input and experience.

Thank you!

yarnball
Old 01-27-2008, 03:29 PM

check your bobbin this question came up not to long ago . If your machine has a plastic bobbin 9 chances out of 10 thats your problem.with these bobbins thet have to be perfectly wound very touchy
Old 01-27-2008, 06:22 PM

The reason for the birds nest is almost 100% because you are not threaded in the take up lever. That is the noice you hear too. I teach sewing lessons and if I hear that sound, I tell them they are not threaded right. If you have a mechanial, not a computerized machine you need to stop every time with the take up on top or you will come unthreaded at the needle and it comes unthreaded in the take up too. So always check the take up lever if you become unthreaded at any time while sewing. That should be a big help for you. Bernadette
Old 01-27-2008, 08:54 PM

BH!
Welcome! I see this is your first post, and just want to say hi!

M
Old 01-28-2008, 04:04 AM

Oh I feel your pain. You have all the pieces lined up to sew happily away and then THAT happens. UGH. :evil: It's usually been the bobbin for me too.

Country Quilter--I watched a man work with my sewing machine once and saw him unscrew the bottom--so now between copying him and following my book on where to oil I do my own. Not near as often as I should :roll: ...but it's nice to not have to be without my machine for any amount of time.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:58 AM

The last time this happened to me (actually twice - once each on 2 separate machines) there was a notch taken out of my bobbin case. Can be caused be breaking a needle and/or good old fashioned wear and tear. The thread catches in the notch and thus the glob of thread in the case. I use my machines ALOT! Hope this helps.