Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
aaargh!  Bird's nest on back!! >

aaargh! Bird's nest on back!!

aaargh! Bird's nest on back!!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:01 PM

Okay, my machine is clean, I did some practice sandwiches, every thing looks great. BUT, then started on the quilt, and major birds nest. I can 't even take 3 stitches. I know starting on an edge can be problemmatic, so I started down a seam somewhat... new needle, bobbin did fine on practice stuff...help!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

When threading yor machine, floss the thread thru the tension disks. It always works for me.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yvonne
Are you doing free motion? Did you put the pressure foot down? That's my usually mistake! Hope you find out what's wrong. I hope it's something really, really simple.
Yep, I have had that one happen to me a few times!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Power Poster

If you change directions at high speed when FMQ you will get a backlash causing a big bird's nest of threads. I put a drop of Sewer's Aid in my bobbin case to prevent static electricity when the bobbin spins in the case.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 PM

Try using 1/8 inch satin ribbon to floss the tension discs. This advice was given to me by a professional sewer.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:56 PM

If you need to blow built up fuzz and other materials out of your sewing machines you can use an air compressor. The canned air that is used by people to clean computer keyboards, etc. contains chemical accelerants that can dissolve some lubrications in your machines (depending on what was used). If you aren't spraying a whole can on your machine everyday, I think it would survive a blast or two. (My husband works with a lot of electronic components and tells me the canned air can be used to clean electronic components. That is what is was designed to do.) Blowing fuzz out with your mouth isn't such a great idea although I catch myself doing it. There's a lot of moisture in breath that isn't very good for a machine.

I can't tell you any method will never cause a problem trying to clean out your machine but the last time I dragged mine into my dealer because the bobbin sensor wasn't working they whipped out a can of air. I just started laughing because I didn't use mine. If you are really worried, check with the guy that repairs your machines. If you don't know one, they are really great resources.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:24 AM

I don't know if I missed someone stating this, but one time I actually had to rewind my bobbin thread. For some reason the bobbin didn't wind correctly the first time. Put the thread on a new bobbin and WOO-HOO!!

Good Luck!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by GiGi
Please make sure your have the RIGHT SIZE bobbin. My bobbin was just a mm off and it that caused my machine to do the bird's nest. I know how this sets one back. Very aggravating isn't it? :D
Yes, in addition to each of the other tips and ideas, I was going to ask if you might be using a bobbin that goes to a different machine. Having had several machines, inheriting stash, and such I have bobbins out the yingyang. Brother is bad about making their machine sensitive to a foreign bobbin and they don't use the same bobbin for each machine in their line.
For the cleaning, I am blessed to have a husband that knows how to disassemble a machine, clean/oil and put it back together. All the lint and critters have to come out eventually.
Good luck, please let us know what you think the solution was.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:59 AM

Here is what my repair man told me.....if the stitch isn't right on the top "the problem" is from underneath....if the stitch isn't isn't right on the bottom "the problem" is from the top. Does that help ?

Originally Posted by bj
This is probably a silly thing to say, but check your bobbin. Mine was doing that a while back and I had the bobbin in backwards.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
Originally Posted by GiGi
Please make sure your have the RIGHT SIZE bobbin. My bobbin was just a mm off and it that caused my machine to do the bird's nest. I know how this sets one back. Very aggravating isn't it? :D
Yes, in addition to each of the other tips and ideas, I was going to ask if you might be using a bobbin that goes to a different machine. Having had several machines, inheriting stash, and such I have bobbins out the yingyang. Brother is bad about making their machine sensitive to a foreign bobbin and they don't use the same bobbin for each machine in their line.
For the cleaning, I am blessed to have a husband that knows how to disassemble a machine, clean/oil and put it back together. All the lint and critters have to come out eventually.
Good luck, please let us know what you think the solution was.
I have a brand new Brother SQ 9000 and I keep getting error message E6 which says thread is tangled, I have rethreaded, tried a different bobbin & new needle...I have owed this machine 2 -3 months and here it just sits unused...any suggestions?