Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Afraid of new quilting setup -encouragement & advise needed here (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/afraid-new-quilting-setup-encouragement-advise-needed-here-t173974.html)

dunster 01-01-2012 08:42 AM

Do you remember how excited you were when you decided to buy it? Think back and capture that excitement. If you have a friend who owns one, or one who is itching to try one, invite her over to help you get started. You can do this!

Jstitcher 01-01-2012 08:45 AM

I bought a midarm machine and frame, it is all setup but haven't sewed on it as yet. Just a few practice tries.

Gramie bj 01-01-2012 09:32 AM

Jump in and try it! don't plan to do anything great to start. Like your DSM you have to get the feel of your machine. So make some sandwiches, fabric kind, and play. Some of my first trys the cat wouldn't even lay on! LOL don't worry or be afraid, you can't hurt the machime. Keep your owners manual, and phone with dealers number on speed dial handy. LOL My dealer shop employee's know my voice, I've called so many times! LOL I have had my Lizzie for almost a year and am still learning to use her. I will not quilt for others but feel confident to work on my own. Remember every Journey starts with that first step. so start steppin! LOL Good Luck and have fun!

Tartan 01-01-2012 09:49 AM

Plug that beauty in! Throw in some practice pieces and quilt a couple of small blankets for the Animal Shelter. The animals won't care what they look like and you can get in some "no pressure" practice. GO FOR IT!

Karenowc 01-01-2012 09:56 AM

I agree with everyone - just try it! It's easier than you think. For mine I loaded laptop quilt tops for our guilds philanthropy group and they turned out great! Just go for it and report back!

Marni 01-01-2012 09:57 AM

I was very scared at first-for about 3 years! Once I finally got started I wished I had started far sooner!

deemail 01-01-2012 10:09 AM

the practice pieces are the key...no waste of a quilt top that is waiting for you to feel secure enough to make it pretty... now that you have the practice piece in, practice writing your name... it's the easiest thing to start with as we already have 'cursive' in our 'muscle memory'....

jgriinke 01-01-2012 10:20 AM

Just load some fabric on first. That alone is different. Get that done and tell yourself to just take your time and start quilting. Don't forget to put the pressed foot down. Take a couple deep breaths - then go. Start slowly and then speed up.
You CAN do this!

cmrenno 01-01-2012 10:30 AM

I know how you feel. I bought a used one so I had NO support. But I put on my Big Girl Panties, took a deep breath, loaded a practice piece and went for it. I have had it for 6 years now and I have a lot of fun with it. I make a lot of quilts for charities which is a great way to practice and try out new ideas. You can do it! I did. (And here's a little secret...The quilt looks a whole lot better after you take it off the frame and it relaxes!)
Happy New Year and remember we are all here to support each other!

MadQuilter 01-01-2012 10:38 AM

I have a handiquilter frame with a Grandquilter sitting in the loft. I even have a quilt on the frame and all of it is covered with a sheet for the very same reason. Heavy sigh. Maybe THIS will be the year to start and try!