Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ?? for all you quilters???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/all-you-quilters-t16357.html)

Quilting G 02-08-2009 03:32 PM

Do you have to be in a quilting frame of mind to quilt?

I am almost through a quilt top... it needs the borders. I knocked out the top last weekend, the borders are ready to be cut and the backing is ready to be pieced and put together and there are some details I need to decide if it will be done before I make the sandwich or after I quilt. And what am I doing… surfing and playing web games,,, watched a movie…..

I can’t wait to dive into the next quilt but promised my self I would finish this one and if I got to it I could finish it and move on….

So am I the only one that feels this way??? Now I have been know to start working at about 10pm with the tv going in the background and just knock things out weather it is quilting or what ever.
When I was in school my husband would tease me because we would go to bed 10-11 ish and I would tell him I had to work on a project/paper and needed him to review it for me… then wake in the middle of the night and knock it out in ½ the time.. He thought I was crazy… I guess I am.

So am I the only one that has to be in a certain frame of mind?
Also do you work one block at a time or cut them all out and chain or assembly line them done??

Thanks!

sewnsewer2 02-08-2009 03:37 PM

I will either get bored with one and start another or if I need to quilt one, I have to be in the frame of mind to do that.

Currently I am working on 3 right now. One is pinned and ready to quilt, one needs a backing, and one I am doing as a QAYG.

quiltwoman 02-08-2009 03:38 PM

Definately! I don't get to spend as much time as I'd like on my "projects" so I try to set time aside. Once I get into my quilting room, I try to work on things that interest me. Sometimes, I feel like cutting, other times piecing--I think that's why I have so many UFO's--I find I do a better job when I'm in the mood to do the task. :wink:

sandpat 02-08-2009 04:06 PM

Oh, I definetly do that...I can find a million things to do other than actually quilt on the one that needs it today...unless I really just feel like doing it. I've also found that if I try to "force" an activity...I will screw it up everytime :roll:

So....I try to work on whatever is calling to me at the time. :wink:

Shemjo 02-08-2009 04:06 PM

Yes, to do a good job, I have to be in a quilting frame of mind! When I have worked on something when I wasn't in the mood, I have screwed it up big time, all the while thinking I am doing a great job, but later, I see where I have put the wrong color patch, or cut a whole bunch of pieces backwards, or......
I have even been known to clean house when I am on deadline to finish something, because I am not "there"!
I am currently working on a number of paper pieced pandas, and finally tonight, I "feel" like working on them. :?
Good question!

littlehud 02-08-2009 04:35 PM

Oh yes. I have to be in the right frame of mind to quilt. Sometimes its therapy and sometimes I just need to sew and sometimes I feel a push to finish something. And sometimes I need time away from a project. I'm with you.

Janstar 02-08-2009 04:40 PM

I think that's the reason we all have so many UFOs. I slipped in two small projects just because-------. I have to be in the mood also, so you are not alone!

sharon b 02-08-2009 05:15 PM

Yes, I have to be in the right mood and frame of mind ! Glad its just not me that feels this way. Lately I have been blocked and haven't done anything :cry: Right now I think its the weaher getting me down and not feeling like doing anything :? Hopefully when it warms up and stays warm (higher than 40?) I will start working on more projects, until then I just tinker from one to another :roll:
Sharon

Lisa T 02-08-2009 05:47 PM

Oooh! Good question! I have to be in the mood to actually do the quilting part, but when it comes to sewing together tops, I am almost always up for that.

Every once in a while I get tired of making quilts and get a new obsession for a while, but I always go back to the quilting. (I've been doing it off and on since I was 15, and I'm 33 now, so that's more than half my life!) It's my creative outlet and if I'm not doing it I'm not happy.

I have always got a LOT of tops sitting around waiting to be quilted! Right now I have 5, and am working on another one. I keep thinking I will get rich and send them all out to a longarm quilter! So far, that hasn't happened, but I have hope!

Quilting G 02-08-2009 05:51 PM

Well posting about it helped.. I am done with border one and now a short break... DH is using the ironing board getting his shirts ready for the week and once I press the last two sides down I am on to the next border...

You guys are great... maybe I should just update each step and let yall keep me accountable...

Thanks!