Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ?? for all you quilters????

Do you have to be in a quilting frame of mind to quilt?

I am almost through a quilt top... it needs the borders. I knocked out the top last weekend, the borders are ready to be cut and the backing is ready to be pieced and put together and there are some details I need to decide if it will be done before I make the sandwich or after I quilt. And what am I doing… surfing and playing web games,,, watched a movie…..

I can’t wait to dive into the next quilt but promised my self I would finish this one and if I got to it I could finish it and move on….

So am I the only one that feels this way??? Now I have been know to start working at about 10pm with the tv going in the background and just knock things out weather it is quilting or what ever.
    When I was in school my husband would tease me because we would go to bed 10-11 ish and I would tell him I had to work on a project/paper and needed him to review it for me… then wake in the middle of the night and knock it out in ½ the time.. He thought I was crazy… I guess I am.

So am I the only one that has to be in a certain frame of mind?
    Also do you work one block at a time or cut them all out and chain or assembly line them done??

Thanks!

I will either get bored with one and start another or if I need to quilt one, I have to be in the frame of mind to do that.

Currently I am working on 3 right now. One is pinned and ready to quilt, one needs a backing, and one I am doing as a QAYG.

Definately! I don't get to spend as much time as I'd like on my "projects" so I try to set time aside. Once I get into my quilting room, I try to work on things that interest me. Sometimes, I feel like cutting, other times piecing--I think that's why I have so many UFO's--I find I do a better job when I'm in the mood to do the task. :wink:

Blog Entries
    Oh, I definetly do that...I can find a million things to do other than actually quilt on the one that needs it today...unless I really just feel like doing it. I've also found that if I try to "force" an activity...I will screw it up everytime :roll:

So....I try to work on whatever is calling to me at the time. :wink:

Yes, to do a good job, I have to be in a quilting frame of mind! When I have worked on something when I wasn't in the mood, I have screwed it up big time, all the while thinking I am doing a great job, but later, I see where I have put the wrong color patch, or cut a whole bunch of pieces backwards, or......
    I have even been known to clean house when I am on deadline to finish something, because I am not "there"!
    I am currently working on a number of paper pieced pandas, and finally tonight, I "feel" like working on them. :?
    Good question!

Oh yes. I have to be in the right frame of mind to quilt. Sometimes its therapy and sometimes I just need to sew and sometimes I feel a push to finish something. And sometimes I need time away from a project. I'm with you.

I think that's the reason we all have so many UFOs. I slipped in two small projects just because-------. I have to be in the mood also, so you are not alone!

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have to be in the right mood and frame of mind ! Glad its just not me that feels this way. Lately I have been blocked and haven't done anything :cry: Right now I think its the weaher getting me down and not feeling like doing anything :? Hopefully when it warms up and stays warm (higher than 40?) I will start working on more projects, until then I just tinker from one to another :roll:
    Sharon

Oooh! Good question! I have to be in the mood to actually do the quilting part, but when it comes to sewing together tops, I am almost always up for that.

Every once in a while I get tired of making quilts and get a new obsession for a while, but I always go back to the quilting. (I've been doing it off and on since I was 15, and I'm 33 now, so that's more than half my life!) It's my creative outlet and if I'm not doing it I'm not happy.

I have always got a LOT of tops sitting around waiting to be quilted! Right now I have 5, and am working on another one. I keep thinking I will get rich and send them all out to a longarm quilter! So far, that hasn't happened, but I have hope!

Well posting about it helped.. I am done with border one and now a short break... DH is using the ironing board getting his shirts ready for the week and once I press the last two sides down I am on to the next border...

You guys are great... maybe I should just update each step and let yall keep me accountable...

Thanks!

I seem to always be in the mood to quilt, if I'm sitting down. I'm a hand piecer so if I sit to watch a program or movie, I pick up whatever I'm currently working on. I can't stand having idle hands. Do I have several projects going? Yes, but will work on whatever has a deadline first and when it's done will work on my many projects as the mood strikes.

Crispy

I listen to books on tape to keep me working... otherwise I get bored and find something else to do. :oops:

Ditto on the Books on Tape. I can get a lot done with each book! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Sounds like me. I have more than a few projects that are close to being finished but lately haven't been in the mood or I've been too busy. With me it's best not to push it until I'm in the right frame of mind cause I end up doing something I later regret.

If it's no longer fun, I find another project! This is my hobby, so I need fun. Quilting is a wonderful distraction from everyday life. And very creative to boot! I do eventually wander back to the discarded project, but probably in the midst of seven others! It's fun! Grin and sew it!

I have a ton of quilts going all at once. All in various stages. Then one day I find that I have finished almost everything at once. lol Then it is really fun to start all over again.

I have quilts in various stages of progress, because on any given day I go with my mood. Some days I feel like piecing, other days I feel like quilting. If something is bothering me, I usually turn on the tunes and quilt...whatever is bothering me is quilted into the quilt and I give it away. :)

Kind of like dumping your problems on someone else in the form of a quilt! LOL

hi QuiltingG
    You're not the only one like that, me too. But I have come to realize that I'm not quite sure about some thing, process, color, what to do next, whatever. And until I work that all out in my mind I can't continue.
    Got two projects on the table right now, quilt an irish chain, block a knitted baby blanket. Gotta make my decisions on each and get on with them.

good luck

peel

Blog Entries
    I have come to realize that I'm not quite sure about some thing, process, color, what to do next, whatever. And until I work that all out in my mind I can't continue.
    Same here. Sometimes if I set it aside I can come back with a new perspective.

on any given day I go with my mood. Some days I feel like piecing, other days I feel like quilting
    I do this as well. I've never been one to work on just one project start to finish. Some might say I don't have enough discipline but it's the way I work best. Isn't it wonderful that we can all be comfortable with our individual creative process. It sure makes quilting a lot more fun.

I am absolutely a slave to my moods! Since quilt making is a hobby designed to help keep me sane, I refuse to quilt when I don't feel like it ... then it becomes just another chore and I already have enough other chores. Fortunately, I do not go long periods of time before I'm back in the mood and back working on a quilt. I have several types of quilt projects going simultaneously, so if one doesn't appeal to me at a specific time, I work on another. (Also, I've learned that if I attempt to quilt when I don't want to, it's not only a chore, but nothing seems to go right.)

Absolutely. That's why I usually have different projects around. I can do what I'm in the mood for.

Weezie, BINGO on nothing seems to go right. :?
    I was in a stressful situation last Friday and had a few hours to paper piece, 5 pieces of material to a section, and I am trying to do 11 of them, and wouldn't you know it, the second and third pieces I put on were the wrong fabrics (colors) and I spent a great part of Saturday un stitching and resewing! I was in a better place on Saturday, and they are done correctly now, so I can go on and complete my pandas. :-)
    I am still stressed about not being able to post pictures! Spent a looooong time yesterday trying to no avail. Will attempt when I am in a better frame of mind again. :?

I've a P.S. to my earlier post. We all have our crosses to bear and I am no exception. When things are really bad and I am really stressed, my creative juices dry up. (Too bad I'm not one of those people who cleans house thoroughly when she's stressed!) When I'm at the mind-exploding point, I do not want to read and there's never anything worth watching on t.v.

I can, however, hand-quilt when I'm incapable of doing anything else. I've been hand-quilting a king sized quilt for years. It is mindless work (because I have the quilting design plan finalized long ago), so I can poke away at it with my needle and thread successfully no matter how close my mental state is to a complete meltdown.

I only mention this in case one or more of you needs an outlet that's harmless, fairly mindless, and non-fattening.

I feel like I have to be in the correct frame of mind, but often find that once I sit and get to it, the act puts me there. I can't just start new projects because I don't feel like working on the "unfun" part of whatever project I am working on. My motto is "just do it and you won't ever have to worry about it again". I absolutely hate UFO's, they drive me crazy and I feel like I can't work on anything (and I mean anything) else until they are finished.

Blog Entries
    This has been a REALLY good thread to read. I have been distracted by one project after another this winter. I brought a ready-to-quilt project to AZ (where we spend the winter) from CT, thinking I'd get it done quickly and mail it to my DD in NY for this VERY COLD winter. Then my DIL asked me to mend a quilt I made for my DS years ago that has been loved almost to death by my grandsons. First distraction. Then... the next distraction ...

I realized that I should have made baby quilts for twins born in Oct. I thought it was going to be a fast project when I started it 6 weeks ago! I had made baby quilts for their brother and 2 cousins that were NOT just quick thrown together projects, so I decided theirs had to be 'special' too. My design is a sailboat on a lake with fish below and sun above. Too simple, so the sky and lake are kaleidescope blocks in light blues and dark blues. Big mistake. They are NOT EASY to match, and I'm obsessive. AND THIS IS A BABY QUILT for goodness sake. If I had foundation-pieced the sky and lake from the start, I would have saved myself a lot of unsewing. I HAVE foundation pieced the sun and boats, and am about to design and foundation-piede the fish. Then I'll finally get to the fun machine quilting part.

Then, I'll FINALLY start on what I planned to do in December - my DD's quilt!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast