Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-only-one-who-doesnt-want-long-arm-what-t146853.html)

deedum 08-21-2011 03:56 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What am I missing? I would never spend the money that it takes to buy one and I am perfectly happy quilting on my old machine. Am I the only one?

PurplePassion 08-21-2011 03:58 PM

Me too. I wouldn't spend the money on them.

AlwaysQuilting 08-21-2011 03:59 PM

I don't really want one either. I figure for the price it costs with the frame, stitch regulator and all the other bells and whistles I can send a lot of tops out to be quilted for a long time.

JulieR 08-21-2011 04:02 PM

Everybody has different interests. I'll never say never -- I didn't think I'd like hand piecing either, but I decided to try it and love it. Hand quilting will be next.

The only difference between wanting to learn LA quilting and any other technique is really just cost.

lvaughan 08-21-2011 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What am I missing? I could never spend the money that it takes to buy one and I am perfectly happy quilting on my old machine. Am I the only one?

Probably not the only one! I got a longarm last year, had it almost a year so still learning. I was driving three hours to take my quilts to the longarmer and as others can testify I had some emotional reactions to some of the work. When I got back the third quilt that I was disappointed with I had to make a decision, either quit quilting or get my own machine. I don't do a better job than the longarmer, but as someone else said, if there are mistakes at least I made them. I also wanted a quilt that I had completed. I felt like my quilts were made by me and my longarmer.

jaciqltznok 08-21-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
Am I the only one who doesn't want a long arm? What am I missing? I would never spend the money that it takes to buy one and I am perfectly happy quilting on my old machine. Am I the only one?

NOPE....I have NO desire.....

BellaBoo 08-21-2011 04:05 PM

I can buy one if I want it but I don't see a reason to have one. For the cost of a nice one with all the bells and whistles I can have every quilt I make quilted by famous professionals and still save money. I don't want to do it for a business. I helped put a quilt on a LA machine and it was way too tedious for me. I'll never be as good as the professionals so I'll let them do my quilts and I'll keep my money.

Montana Quilter 08-21-2011 04:06 PM

So just out of curiosity how much do longarms cost??

lvaughan 08-21-2011 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I can buy one if I want it but I don't see a reason to have one. For the cost of a nice one with all the bells and whistles I can have every quilt I make quilted by famous professionals and still save money. I don't want to do it for a business. I helped put a quilt on a LA machine and it was way too tedious for me. I'll never be as good as the professionals so I'll let them do my quilts and I'll keep my money.

My quilts were done by a famous professional that has been published at least six times in the last 2+ years.

susiequilt 08-21-2011 04:09 PM

I can't justify the cost of one but ... I would like to try one just once!
I'm happy with what I can do (FMQ) on my regular machine so I'll stick with that.