Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone else crazy about HAWAIIAN fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-else-crazy-about-hawaiian-fabric-t68314.html)

cheryl rearick 03-22-2011 10:33 AM

Forgot to add I really like your quilts and appreciate you sharing

Dottie-Q 08-23-2011 04:59 AM

Anaquilts - I LOVE your Sunset over Hawaii quilt! We just returned from 10 days in Hawaii, and I brought home a ton of fabric! I am looking for ideas for a quilt pattern to make. I'm not much for applique, so I won't be making one of those wonderful native Hawaiian patterns. Any ideas would be helpful!

Annaquilts 07-12-2012 05:08 PM

Tell him to shop at fabric mart. Besure he asks them where the 100% cotton prints are unless you are open to polly cotton. Also you can find fabrics at Aloha stadium swap meet, Ohau, Sat. and I believe Wed. You can order fbarics directly from Fabric mart but I think you need to order it by the yard. the last time I was there DH took me to another store and it was evben cheaper then Fabric Mart and similar fabrics. It said something whole sale and was on Ohau but for the world I can not remember the name. It was close to a whole sale Hawaiian silk flower place and I beleive fairly close to where Costco is now located.

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick (Post 2832826)
Where do you buy your materials at? I have a son who lives in Hawaii and thought someday to make a quilt from Hawaiian prints.

Thanks Cheryl

Annaquilts 07-12-2012 05:11 PM

I think a lot of these Hawaiian prints lend themselves to some more modern paterns because of their often large scale prints. I think a large drunkards patch would be awesome too. One more on my todo list.

Annaquilts 07-12-2012 05:13 PM

Sweet quilts and what a legacy you are making for your family.
Thanks for posting pictures and encouraging me to safe DH
and my DS's shirts and DD's dresses.

Originally Posted by supermommaloha (Post 2832552)
As a fluke I came across your question "Is anyone else a Hawaiian Fabric Whore?" or something like that (haha!)..sorry if I offended anyone, but that is what my family - OHANA - calls me! I have been collecting Vintage Hawaiian Fabrics for over 30 years now. I started doing Hawaiian Quilting using these fabrics and it takes up a lot of my time (about 6 months or so, to make ONE) but it's worth it. I am just about the only quilter in the family (of my generation) and have been making baby quilts for every newborn since 1985 when my Grandmother died...Because I've come to the time in my life that my siblings and cousins are leaving this world to go into the next, I have started to make lap quilts for the surviving children or grandchildren out of their old Hawaiian Shirts or fabrics from my collection. How do I show you the photos? Mahalo! Robyn

Kailani's Baby Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173387[/ATTACH]

Cody's Baby Quilt -Born March 21,2011 Made using a Hawaiian Shirt that was his Grandpa's (my cousin) who passed away last year. This is without the borders or quilting. Pattern called SIDELINES 2009 by Debbie Bowles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173390[/ATTACH]

Annaquilts 07-12-2012 05:15 PM

Beautiful quilt remembering a sweet sister. Thank you for posting pictures. I am so sorry for your loss.

Originally Posted by supermommaloha (Post 2832764)
In 2007 my sister passed away. It was in February and it was snowing and cold. I just holed myself up for a couple of months and made this memorial quilt using a lot of the 1960's vintage fabrics. By summer time I was just finishing it and people suggested I enter it into the County Fair. I had never entered anything before and was pleased that it won a Blue Ribbon! :)

In Loving Memory Carmen Candace
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173370[/ATTACH]

blahel 07-13-2012 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by supermommaloha (Post 2832552)
As a fluke I came across your question "Is anyone else a Hawaiian Fabric Whore?" or something like that (haha!)..sorry if I offended anyone, but that is what my family - OHANA - calls me! I have been collecting Vintage Hawaiian Fabrics for over 30 years now. I started doing Hawaiian Quilting using these fabrics and it takes up a lot of my time (about 6 months or so, to make ONE) but it's worth it. I am just about the only quilter in the family (of my generation) and have been making baby quilts for every newborn since 1985 when my Grandmother died...Because I've come to the time in my life that my siblings and cousins are leaving this world to go into the next, I have started to make lap quilts for the surviving children or grandchildren out of their old Hawaiian Shirts or fabrics from my collection. How do I show you the photos? Mahalo! Robyn

Kailani's Baby Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173387[/ATTACH]

Cody's Baby Quilt -Born March 21,2011 Made using a Hawaiian Shirt that was his Grandpa's (my cousin) who passed away last year. This is without the borders or quilting. Pattern called SIDELINES 2009 by Debbie Bowles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173390[/ATTACH]

Love your pink quilt! would you kindly share where you got pattern?

Annaquilts 07-16-2012 07:12 AM

I am not supermommaloha but here is a link-
http://www.patchworkquilting.net/pat...iques/hawaiian
I hope that helps. It looks like one is plumeria and the other one carnation.

SouthPStitches 07-16-2012 07:33 AM

Never even considered using a hawaiian print in a quilt. Believe I like it more than batiks. Hmm.... you may have started something here. Love the vibrance. They are all wonderful but love the Sunrise and last quilt the most.

blahel 07-16-2012 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 5369452)
I am not supermommaloha but here is a link-
http://www.patchworkquilting.net/pat...iques/hawaiian
I hope that helps. It looks like one is plumeria and the other one carnation.

Thanks Annaquilts! I have bookmarked and will check it out thoroughly later as I have to go to work.