Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique Pressing Sheet? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-pressing-sheet-t286806.html)

Sheep Farmer 03-14-2017 11:20 AM

Applique Pressing Sheet?

I want to learn to do some applique using fusible interfacing and someone told me that I should buy a pressing sheet so my iron or mat does not get sticky when pressing.

I want to ask here 'what do you use to press your applique when using a fusible interfacing?'

quiltingcandy 03-14-2017 11:29 AM

I bought a product made for it. But you could also do what Eleanor Burns showed, she sewed a fusible web to her piece, turned it inside out then ironed it on to the block, then she tacked it down with a zig zag stitch so it looked like needle turn.

Geri B 03-14-2017 11:32 AM

I have read somewhere that parchment paper works as well as the Teflon applique sheet.........and i have also seen the Teflon sheets in baking supply sections of some stores..a bit cheaper than if you buy at LQS....

Tartan 03-14-2017 11:55 AM

If you are using the method where the fusible INTERFACING shape is pressed to the back of the fabric, then no pressing sheet is necessary. I think they mean using a pressing Teflon sheet when you are making fusible appliques with heat n bond light or wonder under. 2 totally different methods.

luvspaper 03-14-2017 11:56 AM

I have the Teflon applique sheet and it has lasted and lasted. It's worth it!

cashs_mom 03-14-2017 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by luvspaper (Post 7784242)
I have the Teflon applique sheet and it has lasted and lasted. It's worth it!

I do, too! I finally bought a new one a couple years ago, but still have my old one and use it when I want a teflon sheet over and under. The older one is probably at least 20 years old.

Sheep Farmer 03-14-2017 12:39 PM

Okay I think I understand better.
When I was talking to that lady, I told her I had "Steam a Seam 2" to do my applique and that's when she told me I should get the pressing sheet.

ckcowl 03-14-2017 12:56 PM

I've had a teflon pressing sheet for years. I like to build appliqué on it. Sometimes I just use a sheet of parchment paper , that works well too.
There is a difference between an ( interfacing) and paper back fusible used for appliqué. They are two very different products. I do a lot of appliqué and usually use heat n bond lite, sometimes steam a seam 2. Wonder under and misty fuse are also popular available brands.

nativetexan 03-14-2017 01:14 PM

I have a teflon one. it's brown. not see through. I also got a slightly clear one that I can see through when placing applique pieces to a pattern beneath it. The teflon one i roll up to store. i keep the white slightly clear one in the packing it came in. I seem to remember a girl on the cover. or a doll.

cindi 03-14-2017 04:04 PM

I've got a teflon sheet, but find I use parchment paper more than I use the teflon! Just as good, and much cheaper :)