Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Applique Pressing Sheet?

Question Applique Pressing Sheet?

I want to learn to do some applique using fusible interfacing and someone told me that I should buy a pressing sheet so my iron or mat does not get sticky when pressing.

I want to ask here 'what do you use to press your applique when using a fusible interfacing?'

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-14-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
    Sheep Farmer by day ~ Learning to Quilt by night

I bought a product made for it. But you could also do what Eleanor Burns showed, she sewed a fusible web to her piece, turned it inside out then ironed it on to the block, then she tacked it down with a zig zag stitch so it looked like needle turn.

I have read somewhere that parchment paper works as well as the Teflon applique sheet.........and i have also seen the Teflon sheets in baking supply sections of some stores..a bit cheaper than if you buy at LQS....

Power Poster
    If you are using the method where the fusible INTERFACING shape is pressed to the back of the fabric, then no pressing sheet is necessary. I think they mean using a pressing Teflon sheet when you are making fusible appliques with heat n bond light or wonder under. 2 totally different methods.

I have the Teflon applique sheet and it has lasted and lasted. It's worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
    I have the Teflon applique sheet and it has lasted and lasted. It's worth it!
    I do, too! I finally bought a new one a couple years ago, but still have my old one and use it when I want a teflon sheet over and under. The older one is probably at least 20 years old.
    Patrice S

Okay I think I understand better.
    When I was talking to that lady, I told her I had "Steam a Seam 2" to do my applique and that's when she told me I should get the pressing sheet.
    Sheep Farmer by day ~ Learning to Quilt by night

Blog Entries
    I've had a teflon pressing sheet for years. I like to build appliqué on it. Sometimes I just use a sheet of parchment paper , that works well too.
    There is a difference between an ( interfacing) and paper back fusible used for appliqué. They are two very different products. I do a lot of appliqué and usually use heat n bond lite, sometimes steam a seam 2. Wonder under and misty fuse are also popular available brands.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I have a teflon one. it's brown. not see through. I also got a slightly clear one that I can see through when placing applique pieces to a pattern beneath it. The teflon one i roll up to store. i keep the white slightly clear one in the packing it came in. I seem to remember a girl on the cover. or a doll.

I've got a teflon sheet, but find I use parchment paper more than I use the teflon! Just as good, and much cheaper

Blog Entries
    Another vote for parchment! I'm cheap, plus it's a lot easier to find (any grocery store) than the pressing sheet.

The pressing sheet is also useful for appliques that have multiple piece that are layered. You can press them together then remove from the pressing sheet and iron on to your back ground fabric (hope all that made sense). I bought my sheet at JoAnns long ago w/a coupon (or sale) and really like having it. Mine is a Fons and Porter. Parchment paper is not that cheap so if you plan to do a lot of applique you might as well invest in the pressing sheet. But not mandatory

Blog Entries
    I have two Teflon pressing sheets. Use them for applique and when pressing fusible fleece to the back of fabric for bags etc. Just a way to make sure ironing board cover does not get anything on it. Have had both for years.

I keep my applique pressing sheet under my large cutting mat! I always know where to find it and it stays flat!

I paid $30 for a large pressing sheet. The teflon oven liners are $20. For the $10 difference, I prefer to use the much more flexible pressing sheet.

I purchased two Teflon pressing sheets which I used several times. I heard about the parchment paper and purchased a box to try. I must say I much prefer the parchment paper. I'm still using the first two sheets so they do stand up with usage. I've had no problem seeing the applique between the two sheets when bonding applique sets and I always use one under the fabric and one on top of the applique piece when bonding to the background piece. Another advantage is you can the cut the size to your liking.

Invaluable!! I LOVE mine. Worth every penny! Fusible wipes right off of it!

THE APPLIQUE PRESSING SHEET by Bear Threads

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
    Parchment paper is not that cheap
    Huh? I pay $1.59 for a roll, and I reuse the same piece many, many times. How on earth is that "not cheap"?

I have a couple of the Teflon sheets and also used a Silicon oven liner.

The slick side of freezer paper also works as the fusible will not stick to it. I use my clear pressing sheet to arrange applique pieces so I can then bond them to the fabric I'm applying them to. I place the pattern under the pressing sheet then arrange the pieces on top. When they are as I want them I press them so they more or less stick together. Then take them to the fabric I'm appliqueing them on and press. Then I'm ready to applique.
    Alice the quilter

Blog Entries
    I got the applique sheet and am glad I did.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Do you use these (one above and one below) when you are stabilizing T shirt designs for a quilt?

Blog Entries
    I watched a fons & porter you tube where they had mckenna ryan on the show. Mckenna peeled, stacked, and pressed all these tiny applique pieces together into a grouping, like many leaves on a tree, on the pressing sheet. Then she lifted the group as one piece off the applique sheet and laid this grouping as one piece on her background fabric. It was an amazing way to handle lots of teeny tiny applique pieces.

Peckish- maybe I should check the price again, use to be it was not very cheap so I rarely bought it. I still like the pressing sheet better but parchment is surely a good alternative at that price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
    Peckish- maybe I should check the price again, use to be it was not very cheap so I rarely bought it. I still like the pressing sheet better but parchment is surely a good alternative at that price.
    Get the generic brand, not Reynolds, and get it at Walmart or K-Mart. Heck, I'll bet the dollar store has it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast