Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Pressing Sheet? >

Applique Pressing Sheet?

Applique Pressing Sheet?

Old 03-15-2017, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I got the applique sheet and am glad I did.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:17 PM

Do you use these (one above and one below) when you are stabilizing T shirt designs for a quilt?
Old 03-15-2017, 06:38 PM

I watched a fons & porter you tube where they had mckenna ryan on the show. Mckenna peeled, stacked, and pressed all these tiny applique pieces together into a grouping, like many leaves on a tree, on the pressing sheet. Then she lifted the group as one piece off the applique sheet and laid this grouping as one piece on her background fabric. It was an amazing way to handle lots of teeny tiny applique pieces.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:08 PM

Peckish- maybe I should check the price again, use to be it was not very cheap so I rarely bought it. I still like the pressing sheet better but parchment is surely a good alternative at that price.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
Peckish- maybe I should check the price again, use to be it was not very cheap so I rarely bought it. I still like the pressing sheet better but parchment is surely a good alternative at that price.
Get the generic brand, not Reynolds, and get it at Walmart or K-Mart. Heck, I'll bet the dollar store has it.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you are using the method where the fusible INTERFACING shape is pressed to the back of the fabric, then no pressing sheet is necessary. I think they mean using a pressing Teflon sheet when you are making fusible appliques with heat n bond light or wonder under. 2 totally different methods.
I have to add one caution to this comment (a personal experience lesson) - I use a pressing sheet (frequently just parchment paper from the grocery store) even when putting it on the back of the fabric since on heating, the glue in the fusible can "squish" out from under the paper when it gets heated and get on my iron. I'd rather use the protection than have to clean an iron.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:29 AM

I have a couple of pressing sheets, but I find I prefer parchment because I can make the pieces long enough to be the whole length of the ironing board so I can iron lots of pieces ( I have a giant Costco box that I also use for cooking), but I also grab freezer paper if it is handy. I learned the hard way that you need to use something on both the bottom and top when you are using the fusibles -- it is a pain to clean the iron.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:31 PM

I use my pressing sheet all the time with applique. You can see through it so you can arrange all the pieces on the fabric and press them in place. I also use it when I don't want the iron to touch the fabric -- like when using fusible interfacing and I don't want the fusible to stick to the iron or the ironing board. I roll mine up and store in a toilet paper roll. It can be washed off easily. I even have a smaller one that I use for small areas. I also use it when putting on fusible rhinestones or fusible patches. I've used it when using stitch witch.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:02 PM

easy to press all together let cool and transfer entire unit as Jane Quilter said only way to fly for me
Old 03-16-2017, 04:58 PM

Yes, I use a pressing sheet have several they do work.