Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-thread-t212903.html)

Irene Frohreich 02-03-2013 04:20 PM

Applique Thread

I do needle turn applique and have found Aurfil invisiable thread that is easy to work with so far,
but as it is 100% poly, will it melt when pressed and is silk or cotton a better thread to use?

Jan in VA 02-03-2013 04:32 PM

Have you ever tried silk thread for applique? It 'melts' right into the fibers and disappears when you stitch. You don't even need to use the matching color, 3-4 neutrally colors work amazingly well on almost anything.:)

Jan in VA

woody 02-03-2013 04:46 PM

I also love silk thread :) I have also used Bottom Line Thread when is need a matching colour which is a 60wt Polyester from Superior Threads and that works well too.

QuiltnNan 02-03-2013 04:48 PM

i took a class and was introduced to silk thread for applique... it's like night and day... wonderful to work with.

Peckish 02-03-2013 04:58 PM

I've used both silk and Bottom Line, which is a 60 wt poly. They both blend and sink into the fabric beautifully, and I have had no problems with the Bottom Line melting. However, I prefer the Bottom Line because I can buy assorted colors on prewound bobbins, which is much more affordable than buying multiple colors of silk on spools. If somebody ever came out with an affordable assortment of silk on bobbins, I could be persuaded to go back to silk.

hopetoquilt 02-03-2013 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5836130)
Have you ever tried silk thread for applique? It 'melts' right into the fibers and disappears when you stitch. You don't even need to use the matching color, 3-4 neutrally colors work amazingly well on almost anything.:)

Jan in VA

I still need to match my thread to the fabric. My needle turn appliqué skills are not quite that good yet... I do agree that silk thread is awesome for appliqué though.

Prism99 02-03-2013 05:11 PM

Do what I did to test a poly thread. I sewed with it, then took it to the ironing board to see if I could melt it with my iron. I couldn't, and my iron gets very hot. However, there are different qualities of polyester thread; you really need to test each one yourself to be sure.

There was a post on the QB awhile ago from someone who had used both cotton thread and silk thread for a hand appliqued quilt. She said that 7 years later she was having to repair the pieces that had been sewn on with the silk thread; the pieces that had been sewn on with cotton thread were fine. That was just one post, but it does give pause.....

grammysharon 02-03-2013 06:27 PM

I agree, silk thread is the best to applique with as the stitches just melt into the fabric!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5836130)

Jan in VA

DogHouseMom 02-03-2013 06:40 PM

Lucky me ... I got a pkg of 6 common color Superior Threads silks FREE!!! Used it to try it and WOW what a difference from the 60wt I was using.

Peckish 02-03-2013 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5836437)
Lucky me ... I got a pkg of 6 common color Superior Threads silks FREE!!! Used it to try it and WOW what a difference from the 60wt I was using.

Would you mind sharing how you got the free goodies?