Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bamboo Blend Batting ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bamboo-blend-batting-t71435.html)

kriscraft99 10-21-2010 08:04 AM

how does this compare to warm & natural batting?

leiladylei54 10-21-2010 08:07 AM

I just saw it at Wal-Mart....but didn't pay much attention to it. Guess next time I go, I better look at it again. But no doubt....bet it's "made in China" and that's something I always stay away from.

Mattee 10-21-2010 08:20 AM

Why do you think so? I don't have a package to check, but I don't see why that's "no doubt."

Originally Posted by leiladylei54
I just saw it at Wal-Mart....but didn't pay much attention to it. Guess next time I go, I better look at it again. But no doubt....bet it's "made in China" and that's something I always stay away from.

I have used it and liked it. It seems similar to Warm and Natural to me. I can't really tell the difference once it's quilted, and didn't notice a difference in function while quilting.

kriscraft99 10-21-2010 08:33 AM

What is considered a good price for the warm and natural? I may have a source for bamboo blend but want to know if it is a good price

merridancer 10-21-2010 08:38 AM

50% bamboo and 50% cotton blend, 96" wide is $11.50 per yard and cotton Classic Batting 90" wide is $9/yd and wool batting 90" wide is $14.50 at www.beautifulquiltfabric.com

ckcowl 10-21-2010 08:45 AM

i love using the bamboo batts they are soft, fluffy, needle beautifully, do not shrink, are hypo-allergenic and come from sustainable resources. around here they seem to be more expensive than the wool ones though and when it comes right down to it, i will choose wool first every time...just me...but i seem to use different batts all the time, and the bamboo's are on my list of love working with...when it 'fits' my project i get it.

kriscraft99 10-21-2010 08:53 AM

oh my.. there are several different kinds:

Batting Bamboo Blend 50/50
Comfort Blend Soft & Elegant 80/20

or should I go with simply cotton that is 100% (does it shrink)?

which percentage is the best to work with and less shrinkage?

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i love using the bamboo batts they are soft, fluffy, needle beautifully, do not shrink, are hypo-allergenic and come from sustainable resources. around here they seem to be more expensive than the wool ones though and when it comes right down to it, i will choose wool first every time...just me...but i seem to use different batts all the time, and the bamboo's are on my list of love working with...when it 'fits' my project i get it.

merridancer 10-21-2010 09:14 AM

50% cotton, 50% bamboo according to Fairfield, the manufacter, estimated shrikage is 2 to 3%. 100% cotton usually shrinks 3 to 5% per Hobbs, manufacturer and they say the wool doesn't shrink.

dogsgod 10-21-2010 09:28 AM

I tried it and didn't like it. To me it was stiff, much stiffer than my warm and naturals, even after washing.

StitchinJoy 10-21-2010 09:34 AM

I have quilted several client quilts with the bamboo blend batt from Joann Fabrics, and I didnt care for it. The weight was flimsy and it had an odd feel. I dont know what content is in their blend.

The bamboo blend from Quilters Dream Batting is called Dream Orient. It's lovely. I has a beautiful drape, very smooth, really feels like fabric. It is a blend of cotton, silk, and bamboo, and a tiny bit of tencel.

It is much more drapeable than W & N. If your project is a bed quilt or sofa throw, I would definitely recommend the Dream Orient.