Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bamboo Blend Batting ?

how does this compare to warm & natural batting?

I just saw it at Wal-Mart....but didn't pay much attention to it. Guess next time I go, I better look at it again. But no doubt....bet it's "made in China" and that's something I always stay away from.

Why do you think so? I don't have a package to check, but I don't see why that's "no doubt."

Quote Originally Posted by leiladylei54
    I just saw it at Wal-Mart....but didn't pay much attention to it. Guess next time I go, I better look at it again. But no doubt....bet it's "made in China" and that's something I always stay away from.
    I have used it and liked it. It seems similar to Warm and Natural to me. I can't really tell the difference once it's quilted, and didn't notice a difference in function while quilting.

What is considered a good price for the warm and natural? I may have a source for bamboo blend but want to know if it is a good price

Blog Entries
    50% bamboo and 50% cotton blend, 96" wide is $11.50 per yard and cotton Classic Batting 90" wide is $9/yd and wool batting 90" wide is $14.50 at www.beautifulquiltfabric.com

Blog Entries
    i love using the bamboo batts they are soft, fluffy, needle beautifully, do not shrink, are hypo-allergenic and come from sustainable resources. around here they seem to be more expensive than the wool ones though and when it comes right down to it, i will choose wool first every time...just me...but i seem to use different batts all the time, and the bamboo's are on my list of love working with...when it 'fits' my project i get it.

oh my.. there are several different kinds:

Batting Bamboo Blend 50/50
    Comfort Blend Soft & Elegant 80/20

or should I go with simply cotton that is 100% (does it shrink)?

which percentage is the best to work with and less shrinkage?

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i love using the bamboo batts they are soft, fluffy, needle beautifully, do not shrink, are hypo-allergenic and come from sustainable resources. around here they seem to be more expensive than the wool ones though and when it comes right down to it, i will choose wool first every time...just me...but i seem to use different batts all the time, and the bamboo's are on my list of love working with...when it 'fits' my project i get it.

Blog Entries
    50% cotton, 50% bamboo according to Fairfield, the manufacter, estimated shrikage is 2 to 3%. 100% cotton usually shrinks 3 to 5% per Hobbs, manufacturer and they say the wool doesn't shrink.

I tried it and didn't like it. To me it was stiff, much stiffer than my warm and naturals, even after washing.

I have quilted several client quilts with the bamboo blend batt from Joann Fabrics, and I didnt care for it. The weight was flimsy and it had an odd feel. I dont know what content is in their blend.

The bamboo blend from Quilters Dream Batting is called Dream Orient. It's lovely. I has a beautiful drape, very smooth, really feels like fabric. It is a blend of cotton, silk, and bamboo, and a tiny bit of tencel.

It is much more drapeable than W & N. If your project is a bed quilt or sofa throw, I would definitely recommend the Dream Orient.

the company I was looking at to buy it wholesale only has the 50/50 ~ maybe I better hold off. I don't want to buy something that doesn't feel right.

Thank you so much for your input :)

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
    I have quilted several client quilts with the bamboo blend batt from Joann Fabrics, and I didnt care for it. The weight was flimsy and it had an odd feel. I dont know what content is in their blend.

The bamboo blend from Quilters Dream Batting is called Dream Orient. It's lovely. I has a beautiful drape, very smooth, really feels like fabric. It is a blend of cotton, silk, and bamboo, and a tiny bit of tencel.

It is much more drapeable than W & N. If your project is a bed quilt or sofa throw, I would definitely recommend the Dream Orient.

Why the "no doubt".....I was looking at socks with bamboo content and all made in China. It was a shame as I really wanted to try a pair.

China made products....I'm wary of these days with all those tainted foods, etc. I try to steer clear of them just "because." I don't need to react more to allergic sensitivities that I had a very hard time getting rid of one time with China made textiles. I had these huge welts for a long time and was on steriods for weeks.....it was a very bad reaction and it was fabric made in China. So you can see why I'm hesitant.

And yes, I am a label checker. LOL But this bamboo batting I happened to see was on the bolt and not in a packaged form at Wal-Mart.

Thank you for explaining. I was very interested in your strong reaction. After all, American companies and their products have been responsible for too many illnesses and injuries to count over the years. While I understand the instinct to use inductive logic to expand your experience with socks to other products, I just think we need to be careful about assuming such things, especially when we blame a country or its products for physical ailments and try to avoid products made in those countries. It might be made in China, or it might not. We would need to contact each manufacturer to check.

Quote Originally Posted by leiladylei54
    Why the "no doubt".....I was looking at socks with bamboo content and all made in China. It was a shame as I really wanted to try a pair.

China made products....I'm wary of these days with all those tainted foods, etc. I try to steer clear of them just "because." I don't need to react more to allergic sensitivities that I had a very hard time getting rid of one time with China made textiles. I had these huge welts for a long time and was on steriods for weeks.....it was a very bad reaction and it was fabric made in China. So you can see why I'm hesitant.

And yes, I am a label checker. LOL But this bamboo batting I happened to see was on the bolt and not in a packaged form at Wal-Mart.

Blog Entries
    it is the dream battings that i use also...i love all of the dream company batting; dream poly, dream wool (my favorite) dream orient,
    they are all wonderful to work with and i think worth every cent of the extra cost. i do not know about any bamboo batts from joannes....i avoid that store like the plague!
    Quote Originally Posted by StitchinJoy

It is true that Bamboo is a "green" product in that it is a renewable resourse. But Cotton is also renewable. it is tough to really measure just how much "good" you are doing when purchasing a bamboo product , because the process to get ( bamboo) into a final workable fiber in most cases is far from envirnmentally friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    It is true that Bamboo is a "green" product in that it is a renewable resourse. But Cotton is also renewable. it is tough to really measure just how much "good" you are doing when purchasing a bamboo product , because the process to get ( bamboo) into a final workable fiber in most cases is far from envirnmentally friendly.
    Good point, but then again, farming cotton is very environmentally damaging as well.

Blog Entries
    I read somewhere that the chemicals needed to get the bamboo into batting consistency make its claim as a "green" product ridiculous. I will hold out for a while to see how it holds up - being such a new product on the market. I felt a bolt at the PIQF and was amazed at how soft it was - but that does not necessarily mean it drapes well.