Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bamboo Blend Batting ? >

Bamboo Blend Batting ?

Bamboo Blend Batting ?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:23 PM

the company I was looking at to buy it wholesale only has the 50/50 ~ maybe I better hold off. I don't want to buy something that doesn't feel right.

Thank you so much for your input :)

Kris

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
I have quilted several client quilts with the bamboo blend batt from Joann Fabrics, and I didnt care for it. The weight was flimsy and it had an odd feel. I dont know what content is in their blend.

The bamboo blend from Quilters Dream Batting is called Dream Orient. It's lovely. I has a beautiful drape, very smooth, really feels like fabric. It is a blend of cotton, silk, and bamboo, and a tiny bit of tencel.

It is much more drapeable than W & N. If your project is a bed quilt or sofa throw, I would definitely recommend the Dream Orient.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:06 PM

Why the "no doubt".....I was looking at socks with bamboo content and all made in China. It was a shame as I really wanted to try a pair.

China made products....I'm wary of these days with all those tainted foods, etc. I try to steer clear of them just "because." I don't need to react more to allergic sensitivities that I had a very hard time getting rid of one time with China made textiles. I had these huge welts for a long time and was on steriods for weeks.....it was a very bad reaction and it was fabric made in China. So you can see why I'm hesitant.

And yes, I am a label checker. LOL But this bamboo batting I happened to see was on the bolt and not in a packaged form at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:17 PM

Thank you for explaining. I was very interested in your strong reaction. After all, American companies and their products have been responsible for too many illnesses and injuries to count over the years. While I understand the instinct to use inductive logic to expand your experience with socks to other products, I just think we need to be careful about assuming such things, especially when we blame a country or its products for physical ailments and try to avoid products made in those countries. It might be made in China, or it might not. We would need to contact each manufacturer to check.

Originally Posted by leiladylei54
Why the "no doubt".....I was looking at socks with bamboo content and all made in China. It was a shame as I really wanted to try a pair.

China made products....I'm wary of these days with all those tainted foods, etc. I try to steer clear of them just "because." I don't need to react more to allergic sensitivities that I had a very hard time getting rid of one time with China made textiles. I had these huge welts for a long time and was on steriods for weeks.....it was a very bad reaction and it was fabric made in China. So you can see why I'm hesitant.

And yes, I am a label checker. LOL But this bamboo batting I happened to see was on the bolt and not in a packaged form at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

it is the dream battings that i use also...i love all of the dream company batting; dream poly, dream wool (my favorite) dream orient,
they are all wonderful to work with and i think worth every cent of the extra cost. i do not know about any bamboo batts from joannes....i avoid that store like the plague!
Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
I have quilted several client quilts with the bamboo blend batt from Joann Fabrics, and I didnt care for it. The weight was flimsy and it had an odd feel. I dont know what content is in their blend.

The bamboo blend from Quilters Dream Batting is called Dream Orient. It's lovely. I has a beautiful drape, very smooth, really feels like fabric. It is a blend of cotton, silk, and bamboo, and a tiny bit of tencel.

It is much more drapeable than W & N. If your project is a bed quilt or sofa throw, I would definitely recommend the Dream Orient.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:35 PM

It is true that Bamboo is a "green" product in that it is a renewable resourse. But Cotton is also renewable. it is tough to really measure just how much "good" you are doing when purchasing a bamboo product , because the process to get ( bamboo) into a final workable fiber in most cases is far from envirnmentally friendly.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
It is true that Bamboo is a "green" product in that it is a renewable resourse. But Cotton is also renewable. it is tough to really measure just how much "good" you are doing when purchasing a bamboo product , because the process to get ( bamboo) into a final workable fiber in most cases is far from envirnmentally friendly.
Good point, but then again, farming cotton is very environmentally damaging as well.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

I read somewhere that the chemicals needed to get the bamboo into batting consistency make its claim as a "green" product ridiculous. I will hold out for a while to see how it holds up - being such a new product on the market. I felt a bolt at the PIQF and was amazed at how soft it was - but that does not necessarily mean it drapes well.