Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting for a Florida bound quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-florida-bound-quilt-t192141.html)

auntpiggylpn 06-18-2012 02:06 PM

Batting for a Florida bound quilt

I have to get a Christmas present finished up (I know, realllllllly late!!!!) as I will be going to Florida to see my friend in July. The quilt is all pieced together and I am stumped by the batting I should use. It is warm in his part of Florida all year round, with the winter temps averaging around 75-77 degrees. I am considering just making it a throw instead of using a batting. I thought about just using some flannel as it would have some warmth to it but not too warm. Also, with the cost of batting these days, I'm not sure I want to use one of my battings I have stashed away. Has anyone else ever made a "quilted throw"? What are your feelings about using flannel instead of batting? If I go with the flannel, is one layer enough or should I go with 2? It is a Dr. Seuss fabric quilt so I will be doing some wonky line quilting on it.

ckcowl 06-18-2012 02:15 PM

flannel is pretty warm! i would definitly not use 2 layers of flannel. a low-loft cotton batting (like mountain mist or hobbs select) is a good choice- the cotton breaths- it is lightweight- low loft will add some body without weight/warmth- and a regular cotton backing-
even if you choose a flannel backing i would either skip the batting - use a lightweight/low-loft cotton batting- or use a layer of muslin- but using 2 layers of flannel will make it quite heavy & very warm.

Mitch's mom 06-18-2012 02:20 PM

Wool is always nice.

Lori S 06-18-2012 02:20 PM

Try Moutain Mist Cream White or Cream Rose... very very light all cotton batting. I purchase them specifically for summer quilts.

QuiltE 06-18-2012 02:41 PM

I have a quilt that I used a single layer of flannelette batting. It has given the quilt enough drape and substance that it holds nicely. And it's not to heavy/warm for the summer heat .... just a nice feel around the shoulders when you need something.

Remember too, that even with the Florida heat ... they do have air conditioning ... and will sometimes need something a little warmer.

gollytwo 06-18-2012 03:00 PM

I've use Hobbs Thermore for Florida quilts; It's the thinnest batt I've found.

mucky 06-18-2012 05:02 PM

I don't think the quilted look on flannel is very pretty. I live in S Texas and like the Hobbs 80/20 weight. Seems to be lighter than even the lightest weight cotton.

Pat625 06-18-2012 05:19 PM

I still like to have a warmer covering ...I would use a low loft batting is you want to keep it light

jfowles 06-18-2012 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5299010)
Try Moutain Mist Cream White or Cream Rose... very very light all cotton batting. I purchase them specifically for summer quilts.

I concur, love this stuff!!!!!

fayzer 06-18-2012 06:11 PM

I live in the florida panhandle and love my quilts made with warm and natural or bamboo batting.