Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batting for a Florida bound quilt

Blog Entries

Batting for a Florida bound quilt

I have to get a Christmas present finished up (I know, realllllllly late!!!!) as I will be going to Florida to see my friend in July. The quilt is all pieced together and I am stumped by the batting I should use. It is warm in his part of Florida all year round, with the winter temps averaging around 75-77 degrees. I am considering just making it a throw instead of using a batting. I thought about just using some flannel as it would have some warmth to it but not too warm. Also, with the cost of batting these days, I'm not sure I want to use one of my battings I have stashed away. Has anyone else ever made a "quilted throw"? What are your feelings about using flannel instead of batting? If I go with the flannel, is one layer enough or should I go with 2? It is a Dr. Seuss fabric quilt so I will be doing some wonky line quilting on it.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    flannel is pretty warm! i would definitly not use 2 layers of flannel. a low-loft cotton batting (like mountain mist or hobbs select) is a good choice- the cotton breaths- it is lightweight- low loft will add some body without weight/warmth- and a regular cotton backing-
    even if you choose a flannel backing i would either skip the batting - use a lightweight/low-loft cotton batting- or use a layer of muslin- but using 2 layers of flannel will make it quite heavy & very warm.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Wool is always nice.

Try Moutain Mist Cream White or Cream Rose... very very light all cotton batting. I purchase them specifically for summer quilts.

I have a quilt that I used a single layer of flannelette batting. It has given the quilt enough drape and substance that it holds nicely. And it's not to heavy/warm for the summer heat .... just a nice feel around the shoulders when you need something.

Remember too, that even with the Florida heat ... they do have air conditioning ... and will sometimes need something a little warmer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Banned
    I've use Hobbs Thermore for Florida quilts; It's the thinnest batt I've found.

I don't think the quilted look on flannel is very pretty. I live in S Texas and like the Hobbs 80/20 weight. Seems to be lighter than even the lightest weight cotton.

I still like to have a warmer covering ...I would use a low loft batting is you want to keep it light

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Try Moutain Mist Cream White or Cream Rose... very very light all cotton batting. I purchase them specifically for summer quilts.
    I concur, love this stuff!!!!!
    groovey

Blog Entries
    I live in the florida panhandle and love my quilts made with warm and natural or bamboo batting.

Have two queen quilts using flannel sheets to replace batting and backing. Drape nicely and two dif long arms said quilting was a breeze. Right now in NM its perfect to sleep under. In winter we just add a blanket.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

We use the 80 cotton/20 polly a lot in Central Florida. It's chilly in the evenings. The batting makes it much prettier when it's quilted.
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished