Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting for table runners? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-table-runners-t166327.html)

mic-pa 11-07-2011 03:23 AM

I just purchased "soft and bright" batting at my local Joann's. It is made by the Warm Company and is a thin batt. Also half the price of warm and natural batt. I plan on using it for my placemats and tablerunner. I feel it will work quite well.

It'sJustMe 11-07-2011 03:41 AM

Don't know what you're supposed to do, but do know I would want a little padding for me;
like has been said - thin traditional bat, or a few layers of flannel.

(Was on the board both Sat and Sun and truthfully do not recall seeing your post.
Am still having some problems negotiating our new board, but am getting better.)

Jamie T 11-07-2011 03:47 AM

I always use Warm & White batting, for just about everything, including table runners. It's thin and works quite well!

mimiknoxtaylor 11-07-2011 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by SUZAG (Post 4637036)
I attended two craft shows today and was looking at the table runners...most did not have batting or the batting was so thin it felt like the thickness of felt. Are you supposed to put batting in a table runner and if so, what?

I like my tablerunners to have some sort of batting too. Usually I use flannel (prewashed & dried) but have also been using an old mattress topper that was mostly still good but worn down in the center. I washed & dried it. Then cut out the worn part. It's already quilted so I can quilt as much or as little as I want.
I too am having a slow time navigating the new board but haven't had much time on it either.
Hope that helps a little

abbynjack 11-07-2011 03:53 AM

I made 2 Xmas runners and used a thin batting and they turned out fine. Not bulky and lay flat too.
Hope that helps.
Sorry, I am new to the board so still finding my way around.

blueangel 11-07-2011 04:03 AM

I like to use Warm and Natural in mine. It just gives it the right amount of body.

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 11-07-2011 04:08 AM

I use low loft polyester and it certainly isn't puffy.

mugirl113 11-07-2011 04:14 AM

I too like to have some filling in my table runners. I use a low loft 80/20 poly/cotton and have had no issues with tipping or anything. Part of that could be beacuse I use a meandering or stippling type quilting so that it lays the batting down. Still get a puffy look but the quilting holds everything down flat.

sandyms 11-07-2011 04:22 AM

I agree with everyone else - sometimes no batting, other times a low loft. Just saw your post now - I'm only on in the morning. And I'm still having a bit of difficulty navigating around the new site also.

nanna-up-north 11-07-2011 04:34 AM

Hi, I have 4 table runners that I'm finishing up right now. I use the warm and natural and hand quilt them. I love the look of hand quilting. I've done one for each of the seasons. I think I'll make more so I have one for every month. I love them.