Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bear pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bear-pattern-t48888.html)

Jim's Gem 06-09-2010 09:03 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!

dsb38327 06-09-2010 09:15 AM

Is it like you are making a Teddy Bear using the quilt as the bear sections? Pam, do you have a photo?

Brenda Sue 06-09-2010 02:15 PM

I had an old quilt my Grandmother had made that had gotten tattered and ragged. I made about 4 teddy bears out of it. It had several pieces, but was not jointed. It was either a Simplicity or McCall's pattern. Everyone that I gave a bear to still has them. I will look in my pattern stash and see if I have a jointed pattern. It is a great way to keep the memories of your quilt.

Pam 06-09-2010 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dsb38327
Is it like you are making a Teddy Bear using the quilt as the bear sections? Pam, do you have a photo?

Here he is. This quilt was being used as a drop cloth to cover a motorcycle when it was "rescued". The grandmother had TONS of quilts, she was prolific. There were literally more holes than quilt left. Anyway this was given to me by the grandson. I think his wife was horrified that I cut it up, but it was in tatters, then I saw one in their barn!

Quilt teddy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82560[/ATTACH]

craftybear 06-09-2010 06:05 PM

cute bear

Originally Posted by Pam

Originally Posted by dsb38327

Here he is. This quilt was being used as a drop cloth to cover a motorcycle when it was "rescued". The grandmother had TONS of quilts, she was prolific. There were literally more holes than quilt left. Anyway this was given to me by the grandson. I think his wife was horrified that I cut it up, but it was in tatters, then I saw one in their barn!

Grammy2_be 06-09-2010 06:09 PM

That's a great idea, they are really cute. I've made a few jointed bears using cotter pins and washers for the joints. The pattern I used came from the book "Making Your Own Teddy Bear" by Peggy and Alan Bialosky and Robert Tynes. You might be able to get it at your public library. It is similar to the online pattern. Good luck and look forward to seeing his picture when you are done.

Bennett's Grandma 06-10-2010 04:30 PM

That's exactly what I'm looking for!

Pam 06-10-2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett's Grandma
That's exactly what I'm looking for!

This was what was left from a small double wedding ring quilt. I carefully marked the pattern to match up the parts, his tummy matches, ect. I sewed it by hand, only took one evening. I had to use the plain muslin back of the quilt for the sides of the head because the front had so much damage.

I used a McCall's pattern. I did this about 4 or 5 years ago.

mom-6 06-10-2010 05:47 PM

I don't know if the pattern is still available, but I had one about 12-15 years ago that I made a whole bunch of bears from, just using regular cotton fabric, not quilted.

If I still had it I would be glad to pass it on, but it was in the house when it burned back in November of 2000.

Check both Simplicity and McCall's patterns, maybe it is still available.

Oklahoma Suzie 06-10-2010 06:03 PM

hi and welcome