Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   begginer with stupid question lol (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/begginer-stupid-question-lol-t30803.html)

my65roses 12-03-2009 01:35 PM

I am just starting to sew my first quilt. The pattern instructions say to subcut a few things. I have no idea what subcut means. Please help...lol What does it mean to subcut something.
ex: cut 4 strips 2 1/2" x WOF. Subcut 2 -2 1/2"x36" strips. Thanks!!!

Mamagus 12-03-2009 01:37 PM

Let me help!
If you look at the sub cuts you'll see they are 2 1/2 inches wide and shorter than the original WOF cuts (Width of fabric is wof)

You cut the first cuts into the sizes in the subcut section

mcdaniel023 12-03-2009 01:43 PM

No question here is stupid. The people here have helped me learn so much.
I believe it means to cut the first strips. Then recut them to the "subcut" measurements.
The last one I cut said cut 6 - 2 1/2 inch x wof strips. Then sub cut those strips into 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 pieces.

my65roses 12-03-2009 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
Let me help!
If you look at the sub cuts you'll see they are 2 1/2 inches wide and shorter than the original WOF cuts (Width of fabric is wof)

You cut the first cuts into the sizes in the subcut section

Thanks for trying to help. But we need to pretend that I am dumb and dont understand :lol: . I am very new to sewing let alone quilting. When you say look at the sub cuts...what am I looking at? The word subcut is not in my internal dictionary lol. In lay mans term what is subcut. Sorry if I am making this difficult. :roll: I am just so new too the sewing/quilting terms. Thanks again!!!

beachlady 12-03-2009 01:47 PM

I have never heard the term subcut on any block or pattern I have made. I would assume it wants you cut your WOF into smaller pieces.

my65roses 12-03-2009 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
I believe it means to cut the first strips. Then recut them to the "subcut" measurements.
The last one I cut said cut 6 - 2 1/2 inch x wof strips. Then sub cut those strips into 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 pieces.

Ah I see. So it just means to cut my previous cuts. That makes total sence to me. I am so happy I found this forum and I plan on coming back with more questions :wink: Thanks

sharon b 12-03-2009 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by my65roses

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023

Ah I see. So it just means to cut my previous cuts. That makes total sence to me. I am so happy I found this forum and I plan on coming back with more questions :wink: Thanks

Exactly

:thumbup:

amma 12-03-2009 02:22 PM

Don't feel bad...I thought a sub cut was when I shared a submarine sandwich :D :D :D

tlrnhi 12-03-2009 02:50 PM

I have come across quite a few patterns that tell you to sub cut.

Ask away...nothing is dumb or stupid. We all learn every day....

MadQuilter 12-03-2009 02:56 PM

Sub-cut is like sub-divide. You make an initial cut (in this case a strip at a given width) and then you cut this strip into a certain number of pieces at given width.