Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: begginer with stupid question lol

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3
    I am just starting to sew my first quilt. The pattern instructions say to subcut a few things. I have no idea what subcut means. Please help...lol What does it mean to subcut something.
    ex: cut 4 strips 2 1/2" x WOF. Subcut 2 -2 1/2"x36" strips. Thanks!!!

  2. #2
    Super Member Mamagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newfoundland Canada
    Posts
    1,701
    Let me help!
    If you look at the sub cuts you'll see they are 2 1/2 inches wide and shorter than the original WOF cuts (Width of fabric is wof)

    You cut the first cuts into the sizes in the subcut section

  3. #3
    Super Member mcdaniel023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,603
    Blog Entries
    3
    No question here is stupid. The people here have helped me learn so much.
    I believe it means to cut the first strips. Then recut them to the "subcut" measurements.
    The last one I cut said cut 6 - 2 1/2 inch x wof strips. Then sub cut those strips into 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 pieces.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamagus
    Let me help!
    If you look at the sub cuts you'll see they are 2 1/2 inches wide and shorter than the original WOF cuts (Width of fabric is wof)

    You cut the first cuts into the sizes in the subcut section
    Thanks for trying to help. But we need to pretend that I am dumb and dont understand :lol: . I am very new to sewing let alone quilting. When you say look at the sub cuts...what am I looking at? The word subcut is not in my internal dictionary lol. In lay mans term what is subcut. Sorry if I am making this difficult. :roll: I am just so new too the sewing/quilting terms. Thanks again!!!

  5. #5
    Super Member beachlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,753
    I have never heard the term subcut on any block or pattern I have made. I would assume it wants you cut your WOF into smaller pieces.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
    No question here is stupid. The people here have helped me learn so much.
    I believe it means to cut the first strips. Then recut them to the "subcut" measurements.
    The last one I cut said cut 6 - 2 1/2 inch x wof strips. Then sub cut those strips into 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 pieces.
    Ah I see. So it just means to cut my previous cuts. That makes total sence to me. I am so happy I found this forum and I plan on coming back with more questions :wink: Thanks

  7. #7
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,406
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by my65roses
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
    No question here is stupid. The people here have helped me learn so much.
    I believe it means to cut the first strips. Then recut them to the "subcut" measurements.
    The last one I cut said cut 6 - 2 1/2 inch x wof strips. Then sub cut those strips into 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 pieces.
    Ah I see. So it just means to cut my previous cuts. That makes total sence to me. I am so happy I found this forum and I plan on coming back with more questions :wink: Thanks
    Exactly

    :thumbup:

  8. #8
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    Don't feel bad...I thought a sub cut was when I shared a submarine sandwich :D :D :D

  9. #9
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    20,008
    I have come across quite a few patterns that tell you to sub cut.

    Ask away...nothing is dumb or stupid. We all learn every day....

  10. #10
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,495
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sub-cut is like sub-divide. You make an initial cut (in this case a strip at a given width) and then you cut this strip into a certain number of pieces at given width.

  11. #11
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    I agree beachlady, I have not heard of subcut either. Maybe it is a new term being used in patterns, or I have not been paying attention, which is possible. LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by beachlady
    I have never heard the term subcut on any block or pattern I have made. I would assume it wants you cut your WOF into smaller pieces.

  12. #12
    Super Member Shemjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    I am a dinosaur, and have not used patterns for a bit, but someone must have found a shorter way of explaining something, but neglected to explain it the first time in her pattern.
    I agree that the explanations here sound like what you should do, but it is just wrong to drop these things on us! I may not want to try new patterns because I don't like to feel dumb! If you want me to do something that is new, "Splain it to me, Lucy!"

  13. #13
    Super Member Tiffany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    1,908
    After 18 years of quilting this is the first time I've heard the term sub-cut. I think someone is just trying to be fancy. :P

    By the way, there is NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION, only stupid people who don't ask. Since you asked, you are rather smart! I figure it's better to ask and have someone think I'm being foolish than to not ask and waste a lot of fabric and get frustrated. Besides, how do we learn if we don't ask questions??? :wink:

  14. #14
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448
    Never heard sub cut before either.

  15. #15
    Super Member Crlyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,813
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Don't feel bad...I thought a sub cut was when I shared a submarine sandwich :D :D :D
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

  16. #16
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    I have heard of that term and have to admit the first time I saw it I was baffled.

  17. #17
    Super Member Lneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,076
    I have used patterns out of books that specifically use fat quarters and they tell you to sub cut your strips. I believe it is to use your limited fabric most efficiently. Usually you must cut into strips first and then sub cut into smaller pieces. Does not leave much room for error.

  18. #18
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    Don't worry about asking questions!!! By the way, welcome to the board!!

    I have seen lots of patterns where they would tell you to cut a strip and then sub-cut into smaller pieces.

  19. #19
    Super Member weezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Douglas County, GA
    Posts
    1,717
    That's a new term for me, too, and I've been sewing for over 50 years. I usually create my own quilt patterns, though, just using a picture as a guideline; therefore there are no instructions to read and follow (or to confuse me).

  20. #20
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    7,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have to laugh on this one. The reason all of you expert quilters have never heard the term sub-cut is you no longer have to read the directions! You girls just grab some fabric, start sewing and a quilt pops out of your machine!

    I've seen several strip piecing patterns that use the term sub-cut. Cut these strips, sew together, sub-cut at this size. Maybe newer quilt designers have to make up new terminology so the pattern can be "theirs".

  21. #21
    Super Member Lneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    That's a new term for me, too, and I've been sewing for over 50 years. I usually create my own quilt patterns, though, just using a picture as a guideline; therefore there are no instructions to read and follow (or to confuse me).
    How awesome!! I hope someday I get experienced enough to create my own quilt without using a pattern.

  22. #22
    Super Member Tiffany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I have to laugh on this one. The reason all of you expert quilters have never heard the term sub-cut is you no longer have to read the directions! You girls just grab some fabric, start sewing and a quilt pops out of your machine!

    I've seen several strip piecing patterns that use the term sub-cut. Cut these strips, sew together, sub-cut at this size. Maybe newer quilt designers have to make up new terminology so the pattern can be "theirs".
    Nope, not true in my case! I still read all the directions to every published pattern from the first to the last before I ever pick up a piece of fabric and drag it to my cutting table. If I don't I am sure to make a mistake somewhere. Heck, I might even make a couple anyway! :lol:

  23. #23
    Member showmequilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    81
    i have not ever heard of sub-cut either.. someone is trying to throw us off.. wouldn;t take much for me..glad you got the answer

  24. #24
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I have to laugh on this one. The reason all of you expert quilters have never heard the term sub-cut is you no longer have to read the directions! You girls just grab some fabric, start sewing and a quilt pops out of your machine!

    I've seen several strip piecing patterns that use the term sub-cut. Cut these strips, sew together, sub-cut at this size. Maybe newer quilt designers have to make up new terminology so the pattern can be "theirs".
    Nope, not true in my case! I still read all the directions to every published pattern from the first to the last before I ever pick up a piece of fabric and drag it to my cutting table. If I don't I am sure to make a mistake somewhere. Heck, I might even make a couple anyway! :lol:
    Not true in my case either, all of my patterns usually say something like first start by cutting however many strips (length or width of fabric) lay aside to be cut into squares or whatever is needed(2 1/2, etc.) later. Have not seen sub cut anywhere. I too read my directions through several times before I start. It sounds like someones trying to be fancy with their instructions, now that I know I will start looking for it.

  25. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,393
    Quote Originally Posted by beachlady
    I have never heard the term subcut on any block or pattern I have made. I would assume it wants you cut your WOF into smaller pieces.
    This is exactly what is meant by sub-cut. You would take the 2 1/2" by WOF (Width of Fabric) cuts and cut these down to 2 1/2" x 36". WOF is normally between 40" and 45", depending on the fabric.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.