Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
begginer with stupid question lol >

begginer with stupid question lol

begginer with stupid question lol

Old 12-06-2009, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
I always buy fabric when I'm in the mood and usually have it for years before I use it, so there is no way I can go buy more of the same if I run short. I must like living on the edge ... in my quilting world.
Do you usually have a pattern in mind, or just get the fabric because it is something ou like?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
I always buy fabric when I'm in the mood and usually have it for years before I use it, so there is no way I can go buy more of the same if I run short. I must like living on the edge ... in my quilting world.
Do you usually have a pattern in mind, or just get the fabric because it is something ou like?
Not always, but usually I buy it because it's something I really like and is a bargain at the same time. I don't buy small pieces. I have bought as little as 1-1/2 yards in the past, but when I finally go to use it, it's never enough. Since I can always use any leftovers eventually, I'm a firm believer in better to have too much than not enough.

When I buy "irresistable" fabrics and will eventually need others to complement them, I carry scraps of fabric in an envelope in my purse, so that I can find good matches for it. That method always works for me, partly because I'm in no hurry. As a "mood" shopper, I keep the swatch envelope with me ... if I find a match, that's great and if not, there's always next time.

I have a plan in mind to make a machine embroidered rose quilt ... but first I found and bought several yards of gorgeous rose fabric on sale and that gave me the idea. I managed to get several more coordinating fabrics over the next few months and have also added some more ME rose designs to my collection and now I'm all set to start, but have some other ME and some WIPs to get done first.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:14 AM

When I buy "irresistable" fabrics and will eventually need others to complement them, I carry scraps of fabric in an envelope in my purse, so that I can find good matches for it. That method always works for me, partly because I'm in no hurry. As a "mood" shopper, I keep the swatch envelope with me ... if I find a match, that's great and if not, there's always next time.
I've seen a lot of gals do this, though around here we use a little photo book, like the kind grandma's carry around (Grandma's brag book). The swatches of fabric usually fit perfectly in there. I have one of these just waiting for fabric, but I haven't taken the time to do it up yet. I'm always distracted by something else, like the quilt rack next to it with all the WIPs and UFOs hanging from it. :roll:
Old 12-06-2009, 10:41 AM

Tiffany, I'm sure the time will come when you need to match up a particular fabric for a sensational quilt idea you've had and then you will put a swatch or swatches in your photo book.

The photo book's a neat idea. My purse is a fanny pack because I need my hands free and, to avoid an old whiplash injury pain, can't wear a shoulder strap bag. I barely have room in my fanny pack to cram an envelope of swatches.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:04 AM

Tiffany, I'm sure the time will come when you need to match up a particular fabric for a sensational quilt idea you've had and then you will put a swatch or swatches in your photo book.

The photo book's a neat idea. My purse is a fanny pack because I need my hands free and, to avoid an old whiplash injury pain, can't wear a shoulder strap bag. I barely have room in my fanny pack to cram an envelope of swatches.
Oh honey, that doesn't sound like fun. :( I don't carry a purse but not because of any injury but to save me from injury. When I used to carry a purse everyone seemed to think it was like the junk drawer in the kitchen, if they didn't want to carry it around they'd put it in my purse. I ended up carry everyone else's stuff around with no room for my stuff. I refused to get a huge purse and instead threw mine away and declared I would no longer carry one. That was over 10 years ago and now that everyone has grown up and moved off, I'm considering getting a purse again. I need something to carry my stuff around and hubby is tired of carrying it for me. Lol.

Most of my quilts are scrappy, which makes it easier to pick up fabric for a quilt when I need it. There's less of a need to find that perfect fabric.

However, here's a tip I learned the hard way. If you run out of fabric and only need a small bit to finish a quilt and you can't find it anywhere - do NOT rip it all out and redo with another fabric. :cry: (Learned this the hard way!) Instead, scan the fabric into your computer and using the fabric sheets that go in the printer, simply print out a sheet of the fabric and finish your quilt. I wish I'd known this a couple years ago when I ran out of fabric for a delectable mountain border. I only needed about 6-8 inches but couldn't find the fabric anywhere. Trust me, I searched high and low with no luck. So I ripped out the entire border, bought new fabric, and remade the borders. Gah! If I'd only known I could have saved hours and hours of frustration, saved money, and the quilt would not have become a UFO. :roll: I sure hope this tip helps out someone else so they don't have to experience the same frustration.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:38 AM

Good idea, Tiffany. (Scan and photocopy onto fabric) I never would have thought of it. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:29 PM

MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE! That's the most valuable advice I have.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

That is a great suggestion on scanning fabric when you are short :D:D:D
Old 12-07-2009, 05:34 PM

your example.......
ex: cut 4 strips 2 1/2" x WOF. Subcut 2 -2 1/2"x36" strips. Thanks!!![/quote]

I don't quite understand these cuts.

First of all.....they tell you to cut 4 strips at 2 1/2" by WOF (usually 42")

Then take each of these strips and cut a 2 1/2"x 36".....

What I don't understand is that they are telling you to cut enough on the first cuts to give you 4 strips measuring 2 1/2"x36".

I would reread the amount of strips on the sub-cuts...(second cuttings) and double check the directions
Old 12-07-2009, 05:36 PM

oops....second cutting was supposed to read 2--2 1/2"x36"...

sorry about that........

What I was trying to tell you is that what they tell you to cut first would give you 4---2 1/2"x36" sub-cuts.......

I hope that you could understand me. it's hard to write and explain.....good luck

mj