View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 07:03 AM
weezie

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by weezie
I always buy fabric when I'm in the mood and usually have it for years before I use it, so there is no way I can go buy more of the same if I run short. I must like living on the edge ... in my quilting world.
Do you usually have a pattern in mind, or just get the fabric because it is something ou like?
Not always, but usually I buy it because it's something I really like and is a bargain at the same time. I don't buy small pieces. I have bought as little as 1-1/2 yards in the past, but when I finally go to use it, it's never enough. Since I can always use any leftovers eventually, I'm a firm believer in better to have too much than not enough.

When I buy "irresistable" fabrics and will eventually need others to complement them, I carry scraps of fabric in an envelope in my purse, so that I can find good matches for it. That method always works for me, partly because I'm in no hurry. As a "mood" shopper, I keep the swatch envelope with me ... if I find a match, that's great and if not, there's always next time.

I have a plan in mind to make a machine embroidered rose quilt ... but first I found and bought several yards of gorgeous rose fabric on sale and that gave me the idea. I managed to get several more coordinating fabrics over the next few months and have also added some more ME rose designs to my collection and now I'm all set to start, but have some other ME and some WIPs to get done first.