Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best iron to buy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-iron-buy-t92434.html)

1barron 01-21-2011 06:49 AM

I would like to know your favorite brand of iron to use for quilting. Hopefully the answers will be of an iron I can find. Thank you for helping me out.

wolph33 01-21-2011 07:05 AM

after buying the fancy one that lifted up and it dying right after warranty expired I went to Walmart and get the one for 9.99-it has lasted 2 yrs now. the less you spend on an iron the more you have for fabric :lol:

1barron 01-21-2011 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by wolph33
after buying the fancy one that lifted up and it dying right after warranty expired I went to Walmart and get the one for 9.99-it has lasted 2 yrs now. the less you spend on an iron the more you have for fabric :lol:

Do you find the weight of the iron makes your quilt block lay flatter?

crashnquilt 01-21-2011 07:23 AM

I prefer an iron with some weight to help flatten the fabric. As to the brand, you actually need to find what works for you.

Many people complain about Rowenta irons. I have had a Rowenta for about 5 years and (knock on wood) have never had a problem with it. Somewhere (years ago) I read that using 1:1 ratio tap water to distilled water in the iron. I've always used this and have no problem.

If I had to buy a new iron I would most likely try to find a plain old fashioned DRY iron. I have found I get much better pressing results if I use a dry iron and spritz water or liquid starch. I seem to get a much flatter press and if I am needing to "adjust" a quilt piece this method gives me the results I need.

I usually do not pay attention to brands now days. I look more for WHAT I want. Albeit, when I bought the Rowenta I was going by brand name, but I'll not do that again.

Good luck with your search.

sewwhat85 01-21-2011 08:04 AM

i wish i could find an iron that does not shut off automatically

BellaBoo 01-21-2011 08:16 AM

The Realiable Iron is the best on the market now. No drips or leaks. The water chamber is separate inside the iron from the steam chamber. Auto shut off can be turned on or off. It was one of Oprah Favorite Things this last year if that means anything. It is a superior iron.

pjaco 01-21-2011 09:43 AM

I have a Rowenta Power Glide 2, it does not shut off. Nice iron too Had it for a long time, over 5 yrs.

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
i wish i could find an iron that does not shut off automatically

Lori S 01-21-2011 09:47 AM

Be careful what you wish for in the iron weight. I love a heavy iron with lots of steam ... but it severly aggravaited my carpal tunnel... particularly when doing marathon sessions. . So back to the cheap light weight and the pain has subsided.

tomilu 01-21-2011 09:48 AM

My 9.99 Walmart iron gave out. I bought a Rowenta Pro Glide and so far it does great. The Reliable irons are supposed to be super irons.

Sadiemae 01-21-2011 09:56 AM

There is no "best" iron. It is really a personal preference. Many people complain about Rowenta irons. I love mine, have had it many years, and it has never leaked! Many people like the cheap ones from WalMart, I threw mine in the trash. I have a sunbeam that I also like.