Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-iron-t177243.html)

irma tapia 01-28-2012 05:40 AM

Best Iron

My 20 year old Rowenta is not getting as hot as it should. What brand of iron do you recommend? Looking for a good one for not so much$$$.

Holice 01-28-2012 05:44 AM

one of the less expensive ones. Then when it quilts you won't be out a lot of money. Lots of comments here on the Board about this subject. General opinion is the same.

Lori S 01-28-2012 06:24 AM

In the last 10 years I spent big $$ on top of the line Rowenta's , both died ... so I learned a pricey lesson. I think your Rowenta was in a good vintage year and it lasted . Now I purchase cheap irons with a stainless sole plate ( the teflon coating can be very problematic). I also figured out the Rowenta was aggrivating my Carpel tunnel. The weight and the repeat motion was just killer... but I did not figure it out till my light weight iron !
I do love a lot of steam , so now I just use a spritz bottle , and my cheap iron is out lasting my last Rowenta.

dd 01-28-2012 06:48 AM

I have a Rowenta and I feel the same way. I thought maybe the weight of the iron would help with the pressing. No it just makes me tired faster. It gets clogged after a while with my tap water so I have to buy distilled water. Now I just use a spray bottle most of the time. Back to the cheapies for me next time.

crafty3236 01-28-2012 07:00 AM

I havent been quilting to long but im happy with my jcp outlet iron,a whole 9.99

yngldy 01-28-2012 11:12 AM

Bought one at Costco for $25, can't remember how many, many years ago. Still going strong. Sunbeam.

aborning 01-28-2012 11:40 AM

I recently bought a Sunbeam Turbo Steam Master at WalMart. I think it was priced at a little over $28. I REALLY like this iron--I even kept the box so I buy the exact same one whenever I buy one for a Gift (Bridal Showers or for Graduations). This is the best iron I have ever had and the price was ery reasonable.

nativetexan 01-28-2012 11:45 AM

toss the Rowenta. i had mine for years and had no trouble what so ever and didn' t pay attention to so many complaints about them. i figured my old one was just fine. one day i plugged it into a power strip outside my sewing room and it blew the strip out. luckily my t.v. wasn't harmed. I tossed it out that day.
i bought a silver and blue trimmed Shark from Target and it's been fine so far. good luck.

MadQuilter 01-28-2012 11:50 AM

I have a shark and it gets the job done. With my wrists I had to get an iron that didn't weigh a ton. My old iron didn't have an automatic shutoff and I had to remember to pull the plug. This one has the automatic shut off and it is a bit annoying - but it is something that I better get used to. DH likes it because it does a good job pressing his shirts.

jcrow 01-28-2012 12:02 PM

I am on my 2nd Oliso. 1st died after 4 years and they replaced it for free. I also have the Velocity by Reliable. I don't like where the heat settings are. They are on the handle so I keep shutting it off or lowering the heat. But the steam from that is unbelievable.