Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bias Binder Foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bias-binder-foot-t22151.html)

Favorite Fabrics 08-06-2009 05:00 AM

I have a bias binder attachment for my Bernina, and it took me, well, about five years before I actually worked up the courage to use it! The occasion came as I needed to make a couple of retro-looking aprons, and planned on making the bias binding and putting it around all the edges using the gadget.

The result was... the binding went on beautifully. I LIKE this attachment very much. I will use it again!

Lacelady 08-06-2009 05:12 AM

As far as I remember, Berninas have two. A basic foot, about the same price as other feet, that just turns the fabric strip as you sew. The other one is a whole different ball game and cost over £100 sterling, and even then I would need to buy a separate shank that is extra. It takes the fabric strip and folds it both sides of what you want to bind, then the one row of stitching is supposed to sew both sides together whilst wrapping them around your work. Nice gadget, not so nice price, and I don't think it did any width other than the standard 1/4inch that commercial bias for dress making is.

But then I really like doing the binding on my quilts.

Ducky 08-06-2009 05:39 AM

I, obviously, love to do quilting, but binding is the part I dread most. I'm not good at it. I've bought the premade binding, and I have also cut and folded it myself. It never looks good. Though, this is the one thing I've never been taught to do, either. I think I will check into the foot, and if it doesn't work, I'll just hurl myself down to the floor and throw a tantrum.

omak 08-06-2009 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ducky
I, obviously, love to do quilting, but binding is the part I dread most. I'm not good at it. I've bought the premade binding, and I have also cut and folded it myself. It never looks good. Though, this is the one thing I've never been taught to do, either. I think I will check into the foot, and if it doesn't work, I'll just hurl myself down to the floor and throw a tantrum.

And, when you get done throwing the tantrum you will be PM-ing omak, right???? 8)
One question: The binder you are looking at IS the one in the link posted earlier, correct?

Prism99 08-06-2009 10:35 AM

I think that, in general, those bias binding feet do not work well for quilts. They are designed more for binding edges on clothing.

Bernina used to have 2 binders -- one narrow for clothing, and one wider for quilts. The wider one had so many user problems they discontinued making it.

omak 08-06-2009 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I think that, in general, those bias binding feet do not work well for quilts. They are designed more for binding edges on clothing.

Bernina used to have 2 binders -- one narrow for clothing, and one wider for quilts. The wider one had so many user problems they discontinued making it.

ahhh, this seems to be the sound voice of experience. I yield to your more experienced assessment <g> I am sooo easy! LOL

littlehud 08-06-2009 05:35 PM

I saw a demo of one on Fons and Porter the other day. It looked really cool. I haven't tried one though.

omak 08-06-2009 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I saw a demo of one on Fons and Porter the other day. It looked really cool. I haven't tried one though.

What was the name of the program you watched?
I record them from PBS on Sunday .... maybe I have it on my disc?

littlehud 08-07-2009 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by omak

Originally Posted by littlehud

What was the name of the program you watched?
I record them from PBS on Sunday .... maybe I have it on my disc?

I'll check. I hope nobody erased it.

Yarn or Fabric 11-05-2009 01:13 PM

Okay... so I saw the binder foot on one of the quilting shows this past weekend when I finally got around to watching the directivo'd shows... and I am in love with that binder foot...

Has anyone tried to use it for a quilt sammich? I'm thinking of getting the adjustable one. I'm sure it would work super for place mats and whatnot which is sweet but I do wonder if it would work on a quilt sammich....

I was about to post and ask the question but figured I'd search and viola! Thread already started and now brought back to life....