Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding maker and winder (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-maker-winder-t166720.html)

Michellesews 11-06-2011 09:16 PM

Binding maker and winder

Hello everyone: I was wondering if anyone uses the binder maker by Simplicity and the bias winder? I was given them as a gift over a year ago and finally decided to try them out tonight. I was blown away! I used the 2.5" piece, fed the strips in and in less than 5 minutes I had perfect binding, all wound on a spool on the winder. I could not believe it, why did I wait so long? The only thing is, though, the binding it makes is folded on each side of the strip rather than the "French" binding most quilters use, so probably will not wear as well as the French binding since there is only one layer of fabric on the outer edge of the quilt. But, for quick quilts and quilts that will not be heirlooms....it is the most amazing gizmo. Anyone else use one?
Michelle

EmbQuilt 11-06-2011 09:23 PM

Haven't used one before but been thinking about asking for it. Thanks for the info about how it makes it

Camping Angel 11-06-2011 09:54 PM

I have the bias tape maker and love it. I just have the regular tip for bias tape but I understand that there is a quilting tip you can get that will make the "French" binding.

jemma 11-06-2011 10:47 PM

there is a tip that folds [from memory--3 inch in half]the fabric strip once wrong sides together-- i have used it very sucsessfully to bind quilts --i joined the fabric strips on the bias [this is the most time cosuming part] the bias goes through like a wizz 6 meters went through in less than 15 mins --it may slow if the hot pad cools a little but be ready press the go when the light changes---------------------i made meters+meters for my groups charity quilts

CAJAMK 11-07-2011 04:04 AM

I won a bias maker from an online blog giveaway the end of August. I have nothing but good to say about it. As I hate making any binding.

sewingmom3 11-07-2011 04:11 AM

I use mine all the time for myself and others. I have the 1 1/4 " one folds the fabric in half and it's ready to sew on.

ontheriver 11-07-2011 04:44 AM

I got one as a Christmas gift last year and I love it, use it all the time. I ordered the french binding tip for it, was not expensive, and this is how I make all my binding now.

kathyjg 11-07-2011 09:25 AM

You can buy different tips for different types of binding. I have been checking them out. They are $99 at Hobby Lobby but even tho Walmart does not carry them in the store you can buy it on-line at Walmart.com for $66. They will ship to your local store for no cost. They have many hings on their sight that they do not carry in their stores, many timeds cheaper than you would find because there is no middle man AND you are not paying for shipping.

rnbarbw 11-22-2011 06:33 AM

Where can you get the French binding tip. I googled it and can't seem to find it?

mucky 11-22-2011 07:18 AM

I have used the bobbin winder and find that it can hold more thread then filling them on the machine.