Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   BINDING QUESTION (told you I'd be back soon for more help) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-question-told-you-id-back-soon-more-help-t206464.html)

antylu 11-19-2012 05:06 PM

BINDING QUESTION (told you I'd be back soon for more help)

:) I have read and searched many of the binding posts; tutorials etc. but still have a question; if I want my binding to be a finished 5/8 inch do I still attatch it with a 1/4 inch seam to start? It seems like it wouldnt then be the 5/8 finished when I turn it over and enclose the quilt,batting and backing...........your comments and advice appreciated! Thanks.

Krisb 11-19-2012 05:14 PM

To finish your binding at 5/8"' cut it originally at 3". Fold in half and press; now it is 1.75". Sew to the front of the quilt with a 1/4" seam allowance; 1.25" left. Fold over to the stitching line on the back and sew it down and the finished width should be 5/8". You might actually want to cut at 3 1/4" to have a little to wrap around the edge.

katier825 11-19-2012 05:15 PM

If you cut 3" strips, fold in half, sew a 1/4" seam, you should end up with 5/8" binding.

Gigi07 11-19-2012 06:19 PM

I cut mine 3 1/4" fold in half... iron... 1/4" seams.... comes out really nice

antylu 11-19-2012 06:23 PM

Thanks so much! Am not near ready for the binding but was figuring out just how wide I wanted my last border to be and wanted to make sure I would have the 5/8 inch binding.

dunster 11-19-2012 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Krisb (Post 5668399)
To finish your binding at 5/8"' cut it originally at 3". Fold in half and press; now it is 1.75". Sew to the front of the quilt with a 1/4" seam allowance; 1.25" left. Fold over to the stitching line on the back and sew it down and the finished width should be 5/8". You might actually want to cut at 3 1/4" to have a little to wrap around the edge.

3" cut in half is 1.5", not 1.75, but the rest of the numbers are correct.

The thing no one ever mentions, in any of the binding tutorials I've read, is that if you want a binding that is (for instance) 5/8" deep, you should sew 5/8" in from the edge of the quilt. That means, if you want a 1/4" seam in the binding, you are moving the edge of the binding in 3/8" from the edge of the quilt sandwich. If you don't do that your binding will still be 5/8" deep, but it will not be a full binding. Quilt show judges look for a full binding, but - more important - the quilt will wear better if the binding is full.

dunster 11-19-2012 06:33 PM

Antylu - just noticed you are in Brownsville. I would like you (and any other quilting board members in the vicinity) to join me in the Santiam Scrappers Quilt Guild, which meets in Lebanon. We welcome new members! And I really, REALLY, really want to see your Bountiful Blessings quilt in person. :) PM me if you would like more information.

Scissor Queen 11-19-2012 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by antylu (Post 5668395)
:) I have read and searched many of the binding posts; tutorials etc. but still have a question; if I want my binding to be a finished 5/8 inch do I still attatch it with a 1/4 inch seam to start? It seems like it wouldnt then be the 5/8 finished when I turn it over and enclose the quilt,batting and backing...........your comments and advice appreciated! Thanks.

If you attach it with a quarter inch seam it'll be quarter inch binding. If you want it wider on the front use a wider seam. I personally like a 3/8ths binding.

QuiltnNan 11-20-2012 04:47 AM

if you sew the first binding seam at greater than 1/4 inch, then the blocks have to have a greater size beyond the completed pattern of the block. otherwise, you will be cutting off part of the block pattern

Scraplady 11-20-2012 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5669082)
if you sew the first binding seam at greater than 1/4 inch, then the blocks have to have a greater size beyond the completed pattern of the block. otherwise, you will be cutting off part of the block pattern

If you trim the edges of your quilt sandwich beyond the edge of the blocks, you can make your seam deeper. In other words, if you want that 5/8" binding, trim your batting/backing 3/8" beyond the edge of the quilted top. When you sew the binding, sew it at 5/8" from the new cut edge. If your cutting is accurate, and of course it always is:), you will catch that 1/4" of the top when you sew the binding on. Otherwise just make your final border a little deeper to accommodate the wider binding. Hope this all makes sense.