Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   block snip mistake (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/block-snip-mistake-t224108.html)

schoolteacher 06-20-2013 03:31 AM

block snip mistake

Oh, I was so proud of my almost finished quilt. I was in the process of doing some top stitching. Blocks were finished, spray basted, and some blocks already top stitched. Yep, you guessed it...found a small snip about 1/4 inch long. How do you fix it at this point? Fray check?..don't like the spot it will leave...it's on a solid block. Rip it out and replace it with another? Applique a design? The blocks have no consistent design. Final solution is to put another block on top and sew it on. Will this work? Other solutions? I am so frustrated with it and feel it sticks out like a "sore thumb". It had gone together so well and really looked good for this ole gal. Any suggestions?

QuiltnNan 06-20-2013 03:49 AM

personally, i'd rip it out and replace with new... but that's just my personality. all of your suggestions will work... i agree that fray check would be my last choice.

Scissor Queen 06-20-2013 03:58 AM

I would probably rip it out and replace it. The other choice would be to fuse some wonder under to the right side of a piece of the same fabric and slip it into the snipped spot and fuse and then zigzag over it with invisible thread.

GailG 06-20-2013 03:59 AM

How disappointing!! If it were me, I think I'd replace the piece if it's still in the block stage. However, if the top were already assembled, I think I'd find a way to cover it up (but not fray check). You'll feel better once it's repaired.

eparys 06-20-2013 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6132753)
personally, i'd rip it out and replace with new... but that's just my personality. all of your suggestions will work... i agree that fray check would be my last choice.

I agree - although Fray Check would never be my choice - I would rip it out if I could - if not use an applique.

Jingle 06-20-2013 05:45 AM

I would either take out and replace or scatter some applique shapes over the quilt and put one on that spot.

cjsews 06-20-2013 05:50 AM

I did this once. The quilt looked real cute with an applique right over the spot. It was done in aliens and space ships. Not sure what your fabric is or if it would work for you.

qwkslver 06-20-2013 06:17 AM

Do you do your own quilting? You could put some wonder under on the back and make sure you quilt over it. I meander so it's pretty easy for me to cover things like that.

bearisgray 06-20-2013 07:13 AM

If it's still unquilted, and you have the fabric available, replace it. It won't take that much longer to do that to find something to applique over the spot.

There are other products similar to Fray Check that leave a softer edge.

Sarah in Brooklyn 06-20-2013 07:16 AM

Can someone tell me what fray check means?