Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Borders??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/borders-t199221.html)

quiltlady1941 08-31-2012 05:36 PM

Borders???

well I think I did something wrong as my quilt is to long...

I am making a full size quilt and I have the first border on,it is 3.5 and the next one is 4.5 and the last one I think will have to be around 7 inches to make the quilt wide enough..the reason for the smaller size of the first and second border is that was all the fabric I had left of each...right now it is 86x64 with the 2 border, so if I add the next border at 7 inches that would make the quilt 78x100..

My question is would it look funny if I added a wider border [the 7 inches] on each side a to make it wide enough and just a smaller border of the same fabric on the top and botton...I don't think I want the quilt to be 100 inches long,I think it would be to long.. what do you think?

this quilt has been a nightmare for me ...this was the quilt that I asked for advice on the seams showing on the white fabric and now this...oh my I can't wait to get this quilt done and to my friend..

MaryMo 08-31-2012 05:46 PM

If the quilt is on a bed, you won't notice the borders all that much but it would be roomier to sleep under. I would think side borders only would be justified.

Scissor Queen 08-31-2012 05:54 PM

That's not too long. I have a quilt that the blocks before borders were long and narrow. I put one narrow border all the way around and then the wide border on each side and across the bottom but not across the top. I like the way it looks and it made the quilt just the right size.

QuiltnLady1 08-31-2012 05:56 PM

I don't think it would be a problem to add narrower borders on the top than on the sides. As MayMo said -- you won't notice the side and bottom borders that much when the quilt is on the bed.

kathdavis 08-31-2012 06:00 PM

I've done it before and it works out fine. But, 100" is really not too long.

GingerK 08-31-2012 06:02 PM

I often do exactly that. It is your quilt and there are no rules set in concrete.

But I have a question: what is the size of the bed? If it is for a double (48 inch wide) your quilt would be wide enough. But if it is for a full (54 inch wide) it will be a little skimpy.

pinecone 08-31-2012 06:06 PM

If this is for a double bed, the suggested size is 78x87. I would go with smaller borders top and bottom. The way my foot board is, if it is too long it gets dragged to the bottom as I sleep and I have to tug to keep it up.

piney

Gigi07 08-31-2012 06:12 PM

Personally I like the longer quilts, hate to have my feet uncovered. I would go with the sides and bottom border the same and smaller on top...

pinecone 08-31-2012 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK (Post 5482271)
But I have a question: what is the size of the bed? If it is for a double (48 inch wide) your quilt would be wide enough. But if it is for a full (54 inch wide) it will be a little skimpy.

I had to "Google" mattress sizes and couldn't find a 48" one.
Twin ~ 39x75
Double/Full ~ 54x75
Queen ~ 60x80
King ~ 78x80

piney

quiltlady1941 08-31-2012 07:58 PM

Thank you all for your advice, again you helped me out, seems like I can't make up my mind anymore, must be old age LOL

I think I will go with the wider border on both sides and the bottom, if I figured out the size of the quilt will end up to be around 80x88 it is a full or double bed with a thick mattress so I think it will be ok..thanks again