Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Borders???

Borders???

well I think I did something wrong as my quilt is to long...

I am making a full size quilt and I have the first border on,it is 3.5 and the next one is 4.5 and the last one I think will have to be around 7 inches to make the quilt wide enough..the reason for the smaller size of the first and second border is that was all the fabric I had left of each...right now it is 86x64 with the 2 border, so if I add the next border at 7 inches that would make the quilt 78x100..

My question is would it look funny if I added a wider border [the 7 inches] on each side a to make it wide enough and just a smaller border of the same fabric on the top and botton...I don't think I want the quilt to be 100 inches long,I think it would be to long.. what do you think?

this quilt has been a nightmare for me ...this was the quilt that I asked for advice on the seams showing on the white fabric and now this...oh my I can't wait to get this quilt done and to my friend..

If the quilt is on a bed, you won't notice the borders all that much but it would be roomier to sleep under. I would think side borders only would be justified.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

That's not too long. I have a quilt that the blocks before borders were long and narrow. I put one narrow border all the way around and then the wide border on each side and across the bottom but not across the top. I like the way it looks and it made the quilt just the right size.

I don't think it would be a problem to add narrower borders on the top than on the sides. As MayMo said -- you won't notice the side and bottom borders that much when the quilt is on the bed.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    I've done it before and it works out fine. But, 100" is really not too long.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

I often do exactly that. It is your quilt and there are no rules set in concrete.

But I have a question: what is the size of the bed? If it is for a double (48 inch wide) your quilt would be wide enough. But if it is for a full (54 inch wide) it will be a little skimpy.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

If this is for a double bed, the suggested size is 78x87. I would go with smaller borders top and bottom. The way my foot board is, if it is too long it gets dragged to the bottom as I sleep and I have to tug to keep it up.

piney

Blog Entries
    Personally I like the longer quilts, hate to have my feet uncovered. I would go with the sides and bottom border the same and smaller on top...
    Gigi07

Learn from Yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
    But I have a question: what is the size of the bed? If it is for a double (48 inch wide) your quilt would be wide enough. But if it is for a full (54 inch wide) it will be a little skimpy.
    I had to "Google" mattress sizes and couldn't find a 48" one.
    Twin ~ 39x75
    Double/Full ~ 54x75
    Queen ~ 60x80
    King ~ 78x80

piney

Thank you all for your advice, again you helped me out, seems like I can't make up my mind anymore, must be old age LOL

I think I will go with the wider border on both sides and the bottom, if I figured out the size of the quilt will end up to be around 80x88 it is a full or double bed with a thick mattress so I think it will be ok..thanks again

Blog Entries
    I've done that on two quilts so they wouldn't be out of proportion and it looks fine. I do like the border color going all the way around even if the top and bottom borders are narrower.

I agree with Gigi07

I always have to do the math - and remember that when quilting , your finished product is going to "shrink" up. My mattress is 16 inches thick, so standard sizes don't always work -

I don't have a footboard, so the end of the bed and sides can be seen. I'm pretty anal, so I would have to have the same border on the end as on the sides. If I needed fudge factor, it would have to be along the top where the pillow shams will sit after the quilt is finished.

I will usually figure/re-figure the borders out when the center of the quilt is completed - double checking the math.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Will your friend tuck the quilt in at the foot of the mattress? Does she have an extra thick mattress? I have one mattress that is 14" thick and one that is 17" thick and I tuck everything in because I want my bedskirt to show.
    When I sleep I leave everything tucked in at the foot or my DH pulls everything out and away and tosses it like a hurricane! LOL! So my bedding has to be larger than normal. 100" would not be long enough for me.

I have made quilts where the borders on top and bottom were planned to be smaller. I think it is fine as long as if you have three on the sides you also have three on top and bottom of the same colors but different sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I had to "Google" mattress sizes and couldn't find a 48" one.
    Twin ~ 39x75
    Double/Full ~ 54x75
    Queen ~ 60x80
    King ~ 78x80
    piney
    I have a card with measurements for quilt sizes and these are just for the size of the mattress top. You then need to figure out how much "drop" you need all around.

that is correct, sewmary. That is for the mattress only and as Tanya pointed out, there are many mattress thicknesses too.

piney

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    That's not too long. I have a quilt that the blocks before borders were long and narrow. I put one narrow border all the way around and then the wide border on each side and across the bottom but not across the top. I like the way it looks and it made the quilt just the right size.
    This is the way I would do it too. More than likely the pillows/shams/headboard will hide the lack of the last border. Good luck and don't stress over this.

Shhhhhhh! If the quilt police don't find you then you can do anything you want. Wouldn't the world be dull if we all did exactly the same thing? Actually you're safe... on this quilting board those crazy quilters out there eat up anyone who tries to put limits on others "to do it right." Who defines right?

Blog Entries
    A quilt is NEVER toooo big.
    J J
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Blog Entries
    A quilt is NEVER tooo big.
    J J
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Since it's soooo long as you state, why not throw it over the pillows when you make the bed and tuck it under your pillows like we did years ago before shams became so popular?? Also when folded back over your shoulders during chilly nights you'd be toasty.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Blog Entries
    It's a holiday weekend and the quilt police are out celebrating so take advantage of their absence and do whatever YOU think works best for YOU!!!

I have done that a number of times and the 'quilt police' still haven't caught me.........

I have made quilts with different size borders on the top and sides.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast