Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bow Tuck question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bow-tuck-question-t142450.html)

silverfox 08-03-2011 06:35 PM

This might be a weird question but I am unsure. The question is what type of fabric are you suppose to use for a Bow Tuck Purse? I just received my pattern today, it does not suggest what would be the best fabric to use.. I have a lot of cotton fabric, that is all I buy.. I have nerve made anything but clothes and quilts. I have seen so many beautiful Bow Tuck on this board, that I decided to make them for x-mas for my 4daughters and 2granddaughters. I also would like to know how to put a magnetic closer instead of the button and loop.
You all are so helpful to me in the past. I know that I will get great info again. Thank you Anna

prairiequeen 08-03-2011 06:37 PM

Cotton

babyfireo4 08-03-2011 06:38 PM

Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure cotton is fine. I think that's what most use. You can use fusible interfacing in it for sturdiness.

GwynR 08-03-2011 06:40 PM

Mostly I use quilt store quality cotton. I did make a large one with canvas for the bottom part and it turned out great. It's very sturdy.

Marilynsue 08-03-2011 07:21 PM

I'm going to make a bow tuck and I just purchased some cotton fabric for it. I also bought a magnetic closure at JoAnns that you can just sew in place. I've seen some of these done and look forward to trying it.

JulieR 08-03-2011 07:46 PM

I've used both quilters' cotton and decorator fabrics, it's up to you!

LyndaOH 08-03-2011 07:54 PM

I always use a magnetic snap which I attach to the lining before sewing the outer bag to the lining. I use a small piece of cardboard or vinyl on the wrong side of the lining before I turn the prongs of the snap down. It helps prevent any wear on the lining as the snap is used.

I use good quality quilters' cotton; this bag looks great in batiks.

Have fun making them!

LisaGibbs 08-03-2011 08:02 PM

I have used super nice quilters cotton to fat quarters from walmart and have had wonderful results. My next one will be from light weight denim. I just ordered my magnetic closures from Lees Crafts and Things and got 25 for $23.23 total way cheaper than I found anywhere else. I would figure your total batting needs for the fusible pellon and use a coupon as I paid nearly $8 per yard at Hobby Lobby. Use heavy weight interfacing for pockets if you are on a tight budget and they still come out very nice. I have had a lot of fun making mine.

moonwork42029 08-03-2011 08:06 PM

I used leftover pieces of upholstery fabric, flannels, brushed suede along with your plain ole cotton. I really think this is one you can use whatever you dream up...or at least I have :)

janmwalker 08-03-2011 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
I have used super nice quilters cotton to fat quarters from walmart and have had wonderful results. My next one will be from light weight denim. I just ordered my magnetic closures from Lees Crafts and Things and got 25 for $23.23 total way cheaper than I found anywhere else. I would figure your total batting needs for the fusible pellon and use a coupon as I paid nearly $8 er yard at Hobby Lobby. Use heavy weight interfacing for pockets if you are on a tight budget and they still come out very nice. I have had a lot of fun making mine.

I appreciate your info on the pocket interfacing. Did you use the iron on heavyweight? Can't wait to try my first bag.
Jan