Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   brother pc 8500 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brother-pc-8500-a-t28936.html)

Angie 11-18-2009 07:42 AM

I have a Brother PC 8500 that I can not get to FMQ. It is a wonderful machine and I bought it used for a great price. Everthing else works like a dream, even the embroidery, but everytime I try FM it breaks a needle. I have done FMQ with other machines, I have changed the needle, lowered the feed dogs, tried different threads and bobbins, cleaned it and even manually moved the needle and it looks like it is fine. BUT when I start sewing within two or three stitches the needle breaks EVERY time. Is there anything else I could try or just take it to a repair shop?

reneebobby 11-18-2009 07:50 AM

Did you move the needle position? I've broken needles because i forgot.

kathy 11-18-2009 07:52 AM

what foot are you using?

crashnquilt 11-18-2009 08:07 AM

have you looked on the brother website to see if you can download the manual?

Angie 11-18-2009 09:29 AM

I have done all of the above and am using the embroidery foot. Any other ideas?

luvmy2bts 11-18-2009 09:43 AM

I would use a darning foot or a freemotion quilting foot. I think the foot is where your problem is.

Debbie KS

Angie 11-18-2009 10:08 AM

The embroidery foot is the same as a free motion foot on my machine.

Margaret35 11-18-2009 10:11 AM

The brother 8500 does not do free motion. It was one of the problems with this machine from the time it came out. From what I remember it had a special roller that feed thread and the thread couldn't be delivered fast enough for free motion.

Brother corrected the problem in their newer machines , but the Brother 8500 will always have this problem.

I will try to do more research on this if you would like.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :cry:

Margaret

Angie 11-18-2009 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Margaret35
The brother 8500 does not do free motion. It was one of the problems with this machine from the time it came out. From what I remember it had a special roller that feed thread and the thread couldn't be delivered fast enough for free motion.

Brother corrected the problem in their newer machines , but the Brother 8500 will always have this problem.

I will try to do more research on this if you would like.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :cry:

Margaret

Don't be sorry, I'm just glad to know it's not me. But in the user manual it tells you how to free motion quilt. I guess that's what had me stumped. I do have another machine that I can use, this one is just my favorite.

I would appreciated any information you can give me on this. I may have to see if I can upgrade?

Margaret35 11-18-2009 10:42 AM

I have been searching on the internet for discussions on this problem. I have been on sewing and embroidery boards for many years and I remember reading about the problem a long time ago. There isn't much info about it on the internet anymore.

If your brother dealer has been selling brother machines for a long time, he might remember the problem. I don't think this machine can be upgraded to allow it to do free motion better.

Margaret