Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bucket list! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bucket-list-t213035.html)

Karen Mc 02-06-2013 07:43 AM

Enjoy your retirement! I may actually retire this summer ... maybe.

twinkie 02-06-2013 08:53 AM

Sounds like you are going to be busy. Be sure to post pictures when you are done. You don't ever retire, you just change your priorities. Enjoy

Grama Lehr 02-06-2013 09:02 AM

I can hardly wait to retire............my hubby is retired. It's so hard to go to work when I know that he's home. He started working two days a week at Hobby Lobby, just to get out of the house. It works for me, because now I get 15% off at the store!! :thumbup: I told him not to get the idea that I would do the same thing!! :o
He told me that he only works because he doesn't have anybody to bother while I'm at work! :D Plus, it helps pay for my habit..........of buying fabric!!!

Friday1961 02-06-2013 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 5841325)
Retirement is GREAT! I have no bucket list - don't want the pressure. Or maybe my bucket list was and is to do what I want, when I want. Most of the time, I do. There is no time for me to be bored, unless I want to be bored.

Almost precisely my philosophy! Since I began quiltmaking (I've always sewed and made all my clothes for years) my kids keep coming up with ideas that I could do to "make money". I tell them that would make it like work and I'm done with those kinds of demands and pressure. When I first retired I worried about missing the structure.....and could probably use more structure than I currently have.....but now I enjoy just doing pretty much what I want to when I want to....within reason. It's like being one of those spoiled idle rich women in Highland Park.....without the "idle" or the "rich" or Highland Park! :D

MargeD 02-06-2013 09:36 AM

Congratulations on retirement - again. I'd say your quilting acquaintance showing up with a big box and tote bag full of pieced fabrics for a duble wedding ring quilt has given you the perfect first project. I can relate to her about bad feelings about the quilt as the wedding was called off. My son was engaged and a month before the wedding she called it off. I was just finishing their wedding quilt into a duvet as she didn't want a "real" quilt. It sat in my closet for a while, as neither my son nor my daughter wanted it and I certainly didn't want it - too many bad memories. What I did was offer it to my church for their Nov. Fair raffle quilt, and since my husband was recently laid off, they paid me for it. So- I finished the quilt, the extra cash came in handy for us, the church got their raffle quilt and somebody went home with a beautiful quilt to love. Something good came of the quilt anyway and for that I am thankful. PS Now he is married to a beautiful person and together they have presented us with our first DGD who will be 3 in May, so it all worked out.

susie-susie-susie 02-06-2013 11:17 AM

I have been retired for several years and like so many of you, I wonder how I had time to go to work. If something doesn't get done today, you can do it tomorrow. If I want to stay on the computer all day, that's what I do. However, I would rather sew on my quilting project. Lunch with friends sounds good too!!
Sue

owlvamp 02-06-2013 11:27 AM

Congratulations on your retirement. Happy sewing! Just have fun.

owlvamp 02-06-2013 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr (Post 5842575)
I can hardly wait to retire............my hubby is retired. It's so hard to go to work when I know that he's home. He started working two days a week at Hobby Lobby, just to get out of the house. It works for me, because now I get 15% off at the store!! :thumbup: I told him not to get the idea that I would do the same thing!! :o
He told me that he only works because he doesn't have anybody to bother while I'm at work! :D Plus, it helps pay for my habit..........of buying fabric!!!

That's the way to work it!

carolynjo 02-06-2013 01:00 PM

Enjoy every minute of your retirement. You will have to guard your time religiously or other folks will try to fill your time for you. Ask me how I know!

lots2do 02-06-2013 05:08 PM

Congrats on your retirement and enjoy your new project! I hope to join you fairly soon, myself. Won't know for a little while if it's feasible but I'm looking forward to it anyway.