Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bucket list!

Blog Entries

Bucket list!

I'm going to try to retire ( for the second time) in April,and have wondered about what I will do all day. A quilting acquaintance showed up yesterday with a big box and a tote bag full of partially pieced fabrics,all organized in little labeled boxes. She just " hates this ugly stuff,it won't sew together right,it was to be a wedding quilt and the wedding was off,she has bad feelings about this"...would I take it so she just didn't toss it? It is a double wedding ring quilt,king size! So, of course ,I'm always ready to help! It even has quilting templates and 2instruction books,backing included! I'll make it and donate it to a fund raiser for an auction...if I survive that long LOL!

Sounds like a great project!! Enjoy retirement happy quilting!!!

HAPPY RETIREMET

I know you will enjoy it and do make the quilt.

Happy Quilting
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

Enjoy your retirement! I am happy every day. Projects just pop up, and I always stay busy. I have so many plans that I will never live long enough to complete them all. It sure is fun to pick out what to do next and spend my time sewing. May your days be happy and productive!

Blog Entries
    i am retired don't have any time to worry about what i will do to fill my day

Blog Entries
    When you retire you'll wonder everyday how on earth did I ever find time to go to a job. LOL It's the truth. I have been busier and happier then ever since I retired (I really just quit, retired sounds like I did give it the working thing a go to the end).
    Got fabric?

Sounds like a great retirement project!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I retired 4 years ago and have never been happier. Im always busy, and spend most of my time in my sewing room. I belong to 3 quilting groups, have lunch with my daughter every Monday, and life is Good! Enjoy your retirement, its a wonderful time in your life, and you have earned it!!

Congratulations on your retirement Francie. I think you'll be just fine. It's funny how - when on stay-at-home vacations - my days are full. I wonder how I had time to work 8 hours a day.

Congratulations on your retirement. What an ambitious project to start with.
    Lisa

Enjoy your retirement. I retired for a year and decided I was too young to retire, so I wet back to work. I made 18 quilts that year and sewed four days a week. Just missed working with my Husband and two older kids and missed the daily chit chat. My Husband didn't retire and doesn't plan to.
    I now work 5 days a week and still made 17 quilts last year.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Happy Retirement! I am retiring in June and can hardly wait to be able to quilt all day if I feel like it. I am sure you will find lots to do.

Retirement is GREAT! I have no bucket list - don't want the pressure. Or maybe my bucket list was and is to do what I want, when I want. Most of the time, I do. There is no time for me to be bored, unless I want to be bored.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    When you retire you'll wonder everyday how on earth did I ever find time to go to a job. LOL It's the truth. I have been busier and happier then ever since I retired (I really just quit, retired sounds like I did give it the working thing a go to the end).
    I completely agree! I've said many times that I don't know how I got things done when I was working!

Francie, you are the most generous and kindest person I've ever been in contact with. Have fun in that retirement and sew every stitch you can.
    sandysews

A merry heart doth good like a medicine.

Wisdom is too high for a fool.

I'm retired too and I love it. Believe me, you will find enough to do to fill up your days. After a while you will wonder how you found time to do everything you used to do and work too. Happy retirement.

I agree with the retirement being great. I now don't know how I ever had time to work. Not busy every minute of every day, but, there is always something to do somewhere. Or not. That is the beauty of it.

I'm celebrating the second anniversary of my retirement today. I've never been happier and haven't regretted finishing work for a moment. It hasn't been entirely plain sailing: it's taken time to work out how I want to use my time and find a balance to life that suits me, but I've enjoyed the journey. The freedom is wonderful. Congratulations, and I hope you'll find your retirement happy and fulfilling.

I was involuntarily retired last June. Best thing that ever happened to me. I am more busy now than I was while I was working. I love it. I have purged my kitchen and closets and my house is cleaner than it ever has been. I do what needs to be done in the morning then the afternoons are reserved for quilting. I am happier than I ever have been, except when I was home with my two young daughters years ago. Congratulations on your retirement.

A double wedding ring is on my bucket list too.
    Marie

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I guess I am the only one who is not happy in retirement. I like having my day mapped out for me. I don't do well with free time. I tend to put things off instead of doing them right now. I procrastinate horribly. The last few months I haven't made a quilt. I've been retired for maybe 5 years and the first 4 I did just okay. I sewed every day and made quilt after quilt until I burned out. Now I'm trying to get my groove back into quilting and it's hard. I was forced to retire after being drug by a boxcar. I loved being outside working year round, even in the snow and freezing cold. Now I can't stand the cold. Dang! What I would give to get my old job back!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Enjoy your retirement! I may actually retire this summer ... maybe.

Sounds like you are going to be busy. Be sure to post pictures when you are done. You don't ever retire, you just change your priorities. Enjoy

I can hardly wait to retire............my hubby is retired. It's so hard to go to work when I know that he's home. He started working two days a week at Hobby Lobby, just to get out of the house. It works for me, because now I get 15% off at the store!! I told him not to get the idea that I would do the same thing!!
    He told me that he only works because he doesn't have anybody to bother while I'm at work! Plus, it helps pay for my habit..........of buying fabric!!!
    Marie

You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    A smile is something you can't give away; it always comes back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    Retirement is GREAT! I have no bucket list - don't want the pressure. Or maybe my bucket list was and is to do what I want, when I want. Most of the time, I do. There is no time for me to be bored, unless I want to be bored.
    Almost precisely my philosophy! Since I began quiltmaking (I've always sewed and made all my clothes for years) my kids keep coming up with ideas that I could do to "make money". I tell them that would make it like work and I'm done with those kinds of demands and pressure. When I first retired I worried about missing the structure.....and could probably use more structure than I currently have.....but now I enjoy just doing pretty much what I want to when I want to....within reason. It's like being one of those spoiled idle rich women in Highland Park.....without the "idle" or the "rich" or Highland Park!

Power Poster
    Congratulations on retirement - again. I'd say your quilting acquaintance showing up with a big box and tote bag full of pieced fabrics for a duble wedding ring quilt has given you the perfect first project. I can relate to her about bad feelings about the quilt as the wedding was called off. My son was engaged and a month before the wedding she called it off. I was just finishing their wedding quilt into a duvet as she didn't want a "real" quilt. It sat in my closet for a while, as neither my son nor my daughter wanted it and I certainly didn't want it - too many bad memories. What I did was offer it to my church for their Nov. Fair raffle quilt, and since my husband was recently laid off, they paid me for it. So- I finished the quilt, the extra cash came in handy for us, the church got their raffle quilt and somebody went home with a beautiful quilt to love. Something good came of the quilt anyway and for that I am thankful. PS Now he is married to a beautiful person and together they have presented us with our first DGD who will be 3 in May, so it all worked out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast