Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   buying fabirc (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-fabirc-t81123.html)

sustraley 12-06-2010 07:32 PM

so since I am a newbie, I have a question regarding buying fabric. If you see a fabric you like, how do you figure out how much to buy?

erstan947 12-06-2010 07:35 PM

I buy what I can afford that day and find something to do with it later. Sometimes it a fat quarter sometimes it's 6 or 8 yards. I do not have a method or reason other that I like it and I like the price.

deema 12-06-2010 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I buy what I can afford that day and find something to do with it later. Sometimes it a fat quarter sometimes it's 6 or 8 yards. I do not have a method or reason other that I like it and I like the price.

Pretty much this. I buy what I can like and as much as I can afford or want of it. Sometimes I see it and a plan pops into my head, sometimes I see it and just *need* to have it! :lol:

sahm4605 12-06-2010 07:38 PM

it just depends on if there is a project you have in mind. if not and you really have to have the fabric then what I do is get two yards. most get either 2 or 3 yards. on fabric they like that is not planned for a project at the time of purchase. if you are wanting to use it for a specific project it just depends on how much you need. I would recommend getting at least 1/2 yard extra of that fabric just in case you make a boo boo cutting. but that is just me.

frugalfabrics 12-06-2010 07:42 PM

I started out buying a minimum of one yard of anything I liked, but now I buy a 3 yard minimum, so I can be guaranteed to have enough to back a quilt with it if I want to....so it really depends on what you might be using it for.

cjomomma 12-06-2010 07:50 PM

I buy from 1 to 3 yards if I can afford it. I have been known to get half yards. Here lately i have only been buying what I need for a project.

Cyn 12-06-2010 07:50 PM

I buy what I need and add a yard or if I don't need it I buy 1 or 2 yards depending on whether it's a big print or a filler.

CarrieAnne 12-06-2010 08:02 PM

As much as you can afford!

gump51 12-06-2010 08:12 PM

My dear friend, also a quilter, have learned the hard way that in the quilting world...a little more might work, but three yards always works!!

AndiR 12-06-2010 08:19 PM

Depends what type of quilting you like to do. If you do scrap quilts or applique or smaller projects like table runners, you may just need smaller pieces like fat quarters or half yards. If you are making bed sized quilts and want a piece for the border, 3 yards is a good number. If you find a piece you would like to use for a backing, it can take 8 - 10 yards for a queen or king.

Not much help, am I????? LOL

I once heard someone use this rule of thumb.... "If you like it buy a yard, if you love it buy 3 yards, and if you can't live without it, buy the whole bolt!!!"