Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Color/width of binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/color-width-binding-t21018.html)

rosemary128 06-06-2009 06:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a very simple quilt for my son who is obsessed with the movie Cars, but since I haven't completed many quilts, I thought I would ask all of you for your advice. I think the best color for the binding would probably be black - but what are your suggestions? Also, what width of fabric do you prefer to cut for your bindings? I've heard a lot about 1.5" if it is sewn to the front and blind-stitched to the back (which is what I'll likely do).

Thanks in advance for your wisdom! :)

Cars quilt for son Karsten
[ATTACH=CONFIG]35061[/ATTACH]

Ninnie 06-06-2009 06:51 AM

I always cut my binding 2.5 in and then iron it double, then sew to front and blind stitch to back!That way the seam is on the inside and you have a nice ironed fold to blind stitch on the back!!

Like the idea of black for binding. Nice quilt!!

Ninnie

signitwright 06-06-2009 06:59 AM

I make mine exactly like Ninnie does, with great results. Also, the extra fold makes the binding more durable.

Oh, yea, I vote for black binding. :D :D :D

Pam W.

Esqmommy 06-06-2009 07:07 AM

Love the quilt!! My little guy used to be a cars fan and he would have loved that. Personally, I like my binding to have a little pizzaz. I would go for red! I would do something fun, like red dots, or stripes with red/blue/black that incorporates all the colors. If you go with black, which would look nice, but not show up much, I'd probably go for a black dot fabric, like maybe black w/red dots, or something like that.

Have fun, and I hope your son loves his quilt. I just finished my son's baseball quilt and he refuses to sleep without "mommy's love" on top of him!!

sewjoyce 06-06-2009 07:19 AM

Yep, I do my binding like Ninnie. It will be a lot more durable for the little guy to haul around and step on, cuddle up in and wrestle away from other kids or the dog.

Black would a great color for the binding, too!!

I love the quilt -- you've done a great job!

kluedesigns 06-06-2009 07:29 AM

love the quilt!

i also do double fold binding.

i would make a red or blue binding for this quilt since its for a child and they just love bright colors.

redrummy 06-06-2009 07:44 AM

I also double the binding using 2 1/2 '' width. I would use red to set off the quilt. Good job by the way.

bearpaw 06-06-2009 08:53 AM

Very cute!! I do like the black binding, but I think blue or red would look great!

amma 06-06-2009 09:15 AM

I also do the same as Ninnie, black would be my choice, but a colored binding would be fun, too :D

PrettyKitty 06-06-2009 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I always cut my binding 2.5 in and then iron it double, then sew to front and blind stitch to back!That way the seam is on the inside and you have a nice ironed fold to blind stitch on the back!!

Like the idea of black for binding. Nice quilt!!

Ninnie

Great quilt! And black binding will be perfect I think. I also do the same with my binding as Ninnie and the others, BUT (and it's a big but hehehe!) I cheat, and don't blind stitch it on the back :oops: I fold it over and secure in place with wundaweb, then stitch in the ditch on the front which catches it on the back.