Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Color/width of binding?

Just a very simple quilt for my son who is obsessed with the movie Cars, but since I haven't completed many quilts, I thought I would ask all of you for your advice. I think the best color for the binding would probably be black - but what are your suggestions? Also, what width of fabric do you prefer to cut for your bindings? I've heard a lot about 1.5" if it is sewn to the front and blind-stitched to the back (which is what I'll likely do).

Thanks in advance for your wisdom! :)

Cars quilt for son Karsten
    Name:  Attachment-35061.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  55.8 KB

I always cut my binding 2.5 in and then iron it double, then sew to front and blind stitch to back!That way the seam is on the inside and you have a nice ironed fold to blind stitch on the back!!

Like the idea of black for binding. Nice quilt!!

Ninnie

I make mine exactly like Ninnie does, with great results. Also, the extra fold makes the binding more durable.

Oh, yea, I vote for black binding. :D :D :D

Pam W.

Love the quilt!! My little guy used to be a cars fan and he would have loved that. Personally, I like my binding to have a little pizzaz. I would go for red! I would do something fun, like red dots, or stripes with red/blue/black that incorporates all the colors. If you go with black, which would look nice, but not show up much, I'd probably go for a black dot fabric, like maybe black w/red dots, or something like that.

Have fun, and I hope your son loves his quilt. I just finished my son's baseball quilt and he refuses to sleep without "mommy's love" on top of him!!

Yep, I do my binding like Ninnie. It will be a lot more durable for the little guy to haul around and step on, cuddle up in and wrestle away from other kids or the dog.

Black would a great color for the binding, too!!

I love the quilt -- you've done a great job!

Banned
    love the quilt!

i also do double fold binding.

i would make a red or blue binding for this quilt since its for a child and they just love bright colors.

I also double the binding using 2 1/2 '' width. I would use red to set off the quilt. Good job by the way.

Very cute!! I do like the black binding, but I think blue or red would look great!

Blog Entries
    I also do the same as Ninnie, black would be my choice, but a colored binding would be fun, too :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    I always cut my binding 2.5 in and then iron it double, then sew to front and blind stitch to back!That way the seam is on the inside and you have a nice ironed fold to blind stitch on the back!!

Like the idea of black for binding. Nice quilt!!

Ninnie
    Great quilt! And black binding will be perfect I think. I also do the same with my binding as Ninnie and the others, BUT (and it's a big but hehehe!) I cheat, and don't blind stitch it on the back :oops: I fold it over and secure in place with wundaweb, then stitch in the ditch on the front which catches it on the back.

I also do the 2 1/2", double-fold binding, it's more durable. My vote is for RED, it would make the quilt POP!!!

[/quote]

Great quilt! And black binding will be perfect I think. I also do the same with my binding as Ninnie and the others, BUT (and it's a big but hehehe!) I cheat, and don't blind stitch it on the back :oops: I fold it over and secure in place with wundaweb, then stitch in the ditch on the front which catches it on the back. [/quote]

PrettyKitty: Do you fold slightly more fabric to the back than shows on the front in order for it to catch? I'm a poor stitcher and I would be afraid I'd miss the back completely!

Thank you all for your advice! I was bent on black this morning, but now after some consideration, I might seek out some red, blue, stripes, or polka dots. I hope I find just the right fabric, maybe even on sale. :) I think I'll be doing the 2.5" double-fold method since it's so highly recommended.

Thanks much, you wonderful quilters! :wink:

red, blues, or even a white binding...I'm not much help when it comes to binding, im still trying to learn how to do it..the last technique I tried was with bias tape..you sew the short side, backside up onto the top of the fabric, fold it over and then do a stich in the ditch back on the front side, so it catches the tape on the back..and that worked rather well..but I wasn't sure how to do the corners...

What a cute quilt! A friend of mine made a Cars quilt and bound it with a small black and white check that looked like the checkered flags they use in races. It looked really cute. Can't quite remember but she may have cut it on the bias.

I iron mine in half too but I make my binding 3 inches. I like mine a bit wider.

Blog Entries
    I could see the red/orange as binding, and I make mine 2 1/4" wide, using the same method as the others. (BTW - LOVE the quilt)

Nice Quilt! I'll bet your son will LOVE this. My son (a grown man) still has the "toy" quilt I made for him right after he was born, and now his daughters play with it.

I would choose red binding. JMHO, though.

I like the black binding idea. I only have ever done 2.5 inch width bindings for the doubling up but I am still considered a novice and only have four completed projects.

Kyia

I do mine like ninnie too. I like the folded binding. I think it is stronger and will hold up better. I like black for your quilt's binding.

I also do a double binding (we used to call it a French binding - I dont' know why), but I only cut my strips 2" wide, except for flannels. I cut those 2 1/2."

Blog Entries
    I would use the color brown, the same as the brown wrecker for the binding. I use double fold bias binding strips, cut 2 1/2 " wide before folding.

Black would be a great choice, but I'd almost audition a "Lightning McQueen" red....

As for how I make binding, I make it like Ninnie said, but I use 2 1/4 inch wide strips.

Quote Originally Posted by canmitch1971
    I iron mine in half too but I make my binding 3 inches. I like mine a bit wider.
    Dittoes!
    I like to machine stitch my binding (Elenor Burns) and I inevitably miss the binding on anything less than three inches, folded in half.

Blog Entries
    If you could get enough of that red checkered flag material from under the panel to make a binding, that would look great on the outside. I'd use that, then make continuous bias binding 2-3/4" wide folded. The bias would make the pattern twist around the quilt and that little extra width would show it off more. My grandson would love that quilt!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast