Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Color/width of binding?

Very, very cute!! I vote for a black binding too. I make mine 2-1/4 wide and double folded; I like a very narrow binding strip.

I made a quilt out of the same panel a couple years ago, but mine did not turn out as cute as yours. I did trapunto the big cars and logo, though, which added a dimension that kids seem to love.

Rosemary128 - Did you ever decide? Can you post a pic of the completed quilt?

I made one very similar for my grandson last year. I used white and black sm 9 patch on the corners to represent the 'checkered flag'. I also did sashings between the blocks with the flag in the corner as well. I love the double fold method. Sure makes the hand sewing easier!

Nice quilt!!! Whatever you choose will be beautiful.

Power Poster
    Especially for children's quilts, some people apply the binding to the back of the quilt, and then top stitch it down on the front.

Sometimes it helps to make a sandwich (a mini front, batting, and back) and experiment (with scrap materials) to get the width you want.

I highly recommend using the two layer binding. If/When the top layer wears out, there's still a layer of fabric to protect the edges.

I also recommend using a bias cut binding on a child's quilt - I"ve heard that it wears a bit better because more than one thread is exposed at the edge.

i'm with ninnie, and I usually make binding with fabric from outer most boarder.

peel

Blog Entries
    I think your idea of using black as a binding is an excellent one. The quilt is so adorable, the black binding would keep your focus on the cute cars. I use 2 1/2" strips WOF for binding, which I fold in half lengthwise and press. Then I do a 1/4" seam to attach the binding onto the front of the quilt, and fold over the binding to the back. That way you have a nice finished folded edge to blind stitch to the stitched seam on the back. I use this for all my quilts, and find it's a lovely neat finish.

I cut my binding strips 2-1/2", iron it double, wrong sides together, sew it to the front of the quilt and turn to the back and hand stitch down. If you only cut your strips 1-1/2" it will not reach up and over your border edges.
    Good luck.
    You might test run a red for the binding.

Great Quilt. My grandson loves "Cars" too! and when I did a quilt similar to yours for him I did tne 2.5 binding in a black and white check pattern to make it look like the flag used at the finished line. You have lots of options but rest assured it will be loved. :D

I'd go with a red or blue binding to give it some pop!!! I like a 2.5 inche binding fold over

OMG that is a delightful quilt! Any kid would love it, even the girls...I know my granddaughter would.

Yes, black binding is probably best but I think it would be cute no matter what....even if you used yellow, red, blue and black scraps to make a colorful binding would look cute. but you could audition it to be sure. I still think black would be best.

warm quilt hugs, sue

I think the black binding would be fine. I cut my binding 2 1/4 inches. Then fold in half and press. Donna

Blog Entries
    Love your quilt. I have a couple of CARS fans in my grandsons too! Colorful binding is a cute idea. I always cut my binding between 2 1/4 for a thin batt (wallhanging) to 2 1/2 for loftier batt. Any smaller makes it too hard to apply and looks too skinchee (made up word).

Blog Entries
    JAMIE, THERE IS A GREAT TUTORIAL ON BINDING BY SHARON SCHAMBER. I'VE QUILTED FOR YEARS AND DID A SIMILAR METHOD BUT MY RESULTS SOMETIMES VARIED. HER METHOD MAKES IT EASY.GOOGLE HER SITE AND YOU'LL KNOW HOW TO MAKE AND APPLY BINDING

Quote Originally Posted by rosemary128
    Just a very simple quilt for my son who is obsessed with the movie Cars, but since I haven't completed many quilts, I thought I would ask all of you for your advice. I think the best color for the binding would probably be black - but what are your suggestions? Also, what width of fabric do you prefer to cut for your bindings? I've heard a lot about 1.5" if it is sewn to the front and blind-stitched to the back (which is what I'll likely do).

Thanks in advance for your wisdom! :)
    Love it!! Looks just like a movie reel. Someone's idea (Ninnie's?) of the dots is nifty.

I also use 2 and 1/2 inches and press in half. Sew a 1/4 inch seam. Sometimes for a little wider binding, I use 2 3/4 for the strip. Seam 3/8"

Love the "Cars."

I usually cut my bindings 2 1/4 inches and do the double fold usually on straight of grain unless its a stripe or check. bias cut gives it a cute look. I audition my binding before i decide. sometimes when the quilt is finished, the one that i end up using isnt the one that i first picked. on this particular quilt i'd use the black and white check or the red.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2