Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Colors in a Quilt, What colors you like and dislike and Why? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/colors-quilt-what-colors-you-like-dislike-why-t36571.html)

craftybear 02-10-2010 03:48 PM

I couldn't sleep last night and was thinking about colors in a quilt. I was wondering what colors you like and dislike in and a quilt and why?

I was looking at my spring table cloth on the back porch (has blue, yellow and orange) actually the orange looks nice. I didn't make it but was wondering about colors.

This should be an interesting subject thread. Will be fun to fun out colors and what designs on a fabric we like or dislike

Karen

Marjpf 02-10-2010 03:52 PM

I have yet to find a color that doesn't work somewhere for something, but I pretty much stay away for orange, just because it's not my taste. Don't use much purple either unless it's for my mother-in-law. I lean heavy on greens, tans, and blues.

craftybear 02-10-2010 03:54 PM

Do you like small or large prints, what designs on fabrics?

I am more of an autumn color decor in my house, but my favorite color is blue.

I agree, don't like orange but it sure made the orange flowers pop out on that store bought tablecloth on my back sun porch.

Karen

thismomquilts 02-10-2010 03:55 PM

I prefer fabrics that reflect old - no matter what color... not faded old - time old - repros, etc.

Marjpf 02-10-2010 03:57 PM

I usually stick with smaller prints so they are more versatile. Though now and again I will fall in love with a fabric that is so far out of my normal range, but have to have it. I have a nice stash of those, since I don't know what to do with them.

MadQuilter 02-10-2010 04:02 PM

I'm not a fan of 30's - particularly in Grandmother's flower garden, and I'm not too crazy about high contrast black and white. Those are hard for me to do. I prefer the fall colors, deep reds, greens, rust, purple, brown. Pattern is usually small. If large, then I generally like fussy cuts.

Thanks to the Monthly Bee Block swap, and the Boomerang Swap, I can challenge myself to work with all sorts of fabrics and preferences on a small scale. I did notice that I have NO solids and barely any batics.

Barb_MO 02-10-2010 04:05 PM

I like florals or at least a definate design to them. I can work with really well in the type of guilts I make. I cannot work with tone on tone using more than one colorway. I think it is that I don't understand the colorwheel, never have, and probably never will.

Up North 02-10-2010 04:09 PM

For some reason looking at my stash I have a lot of green,and yellow, I lean towards mauve, burgundy and off white in a lot of my quilts. For family it is more fall colors. My DDIL likes black, red, teal and brown colors(not together! lol)

justwannaquilt 02-10-2010 04:10 PM

I like any and all colors for the most part EXCEPT RED! LOL I don't know why I just don't like it. Maybe thats why it has taken me so long to finish the red and black wonky log cabin for my sister.

AS far as print goes I don't really like prints unless it is just a "texture" print something to give the fabric a different look (I never know how to cut print fabrics). I normally try to stay with either textures or marbles/mottled look that hand dyed fabric gets!

varacefan 02-10-2010 04:40 PM

I like earth tones - blues, greens, browns, some oranges - with smaller prints. My daughters like brighter colors and larger prints so we have a little bit of everything here!