Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Colors in a Quilt, What colors you like and dislike and Why? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/colors-quilt-what-colors-you-like-dislike-why-t36571.html)

skpkatydid 02-10-2010 09:58 PM

I LOVE red...the true deep reds not those that are to the orange side. I have yet to make a quilt in red though. I love the bright colors . I have a very acute color sense in matching colors. Sometimes that can be really bad when it comes to finding a piece of material that I need. It has to be just right or it is like fingernails on a chalk board.

I like landscape prints, batiks, tone on tone, and blenders. Plaid is also a great love of mine and yet no quilt either.

oksewglad 02-11-2010 12:22 AM

I have lots of blues in my stash--blue and yellow is my favorite combo, but have yet to do a quilt in it! I like small prints as I like to do minis, but the most beautiful fabric to me is a paisley. There's something sensual about the swirling colors in a paisley fabric

Margie 02-11-2010 02:33 AM

I like sooooo many colors. Earthtones, GREEns,blues, reds, yellows that are soft yellow, buttery or yellow gold but i cant stand bright oranges, but like apricot or peach. I dont like royal blue or deep purple very much. But have seen those colors used in smaller amounts in a quilt pretty. I tend to like soft soothing colors.

Margie

mcdaniel023 02-11-2010 02:43 AM

There isn't much I don't like. I really love pastel florals,
and fall type colors. I like blues and greens (except true green). I would say I didn't like to use black, but have used it and it really can make the other colors pop.

mar32428 02-11-2010 05:32 AM

I am forever being drawn to fabrics with metalics in them. I know I can't use them for quilts as such, but they make lovely purses, totes etc.

vjengels 02-11-2010 05:39 AM

I lean heavy on the pinks, blues, greens, purples, and tans.... I need more yellow;every time I go shopping for yellow, I bring more green home....hmmmmm. as far as deciding what color to use in a quilt , the idea always starts with " I think I'll made a purple( green , blue, pink ) quilt'. then I throw in every scrap, and colora I have. I may have to start thinking about ' making a purple & green' quilt; maybe that'll define it a little more for my brain.

Pam B 02-11-2010 05:49 AM

I do NOT like green. I don't use much orange (except in fall items).

STAR 02-11-2010 05:53 AM

I really never cared for pink but I am finding ALOT of pinks that I like now when it comes to quilting. I don't think I really look for certain colors i just look around and I seem to like it ALL now

Jingle 02-11-2010 06:03 AM

I don't like real bright colors, otherwise I use about any color, I love cranberry,mauves,greens, I have used a lot of colors in my log cabins and such. I love flowers, usually medium to small. I have lots I want to use, if I live to be 200 yr.s old I may be surprised at the combination I come up with. If not, my Daughter will inheirit my fab.s and we don't like all the same colors. Oh well.

mar32428 02-11-2010 06:23 AM

I bought a whole stack of five inch squares at the flea market in Hawaii on our fiftieth anniversary vacation. Did my second quilt with them. I didn't like maroon at all but when I got my squares together, the only color that fit for sashing was maroon. And I made two of them for our two double beds. You just never know.