Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Colors in a Quilt, What colors you like and dislike and Why? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/colors-quilt-what-colors-you-like-dislike-why-t36571.html)

Lainee 02-11-2010 06:41 AM

I love bright colors, so I am turned off by mutted, dusty, muddy shades of any color.

granniegg 02-11-2010 06:45 AM

My critical mind does the same thing and overthinks all my projects which results in UFOs. I love all colors, shades and prints.....so I try to stick with the colorwheel and a mix of the 3 not exceeding 5 colors.
I watch the choices my quilting friends make of matching colors to their fabric and it always works but I don't have that kind of thinking, not eye, thinking. A true Aquarius.

mpspeedy 02-11-2010 06:54 AM

I like bright true colors the best. While I like some of the designs of say Thimbleberries I don't like the muted muddy colors. The same goes for Civil war fabrics. If I make something from the more muted colors I have to add a small border of either black or something intense like true red. Brown is my least favorite color. I only use it when it is important for the design like a tree or wood etc. I love floral prints and stripes. The main reason I use solid colors of anything is because my handquilting shows up best on a plain surface. The mottled or tone on tone fabrics also work well for showcasing the quilting.

Laura Li 02-11-2010 07:03 AM

This is my first reply as I am new to this site. I enjoy many but especialy like batiks. Just picked out eight different ones for a friend's quilt. I also enjoy high contrasting colors, just depends on the pattern. I wish I was quilting right now!

DianD 02-11-2010 07:10 AM

I enjoy all colors...Okay, especially purple-not so much orange. However, I did a friendship braid top with lots of orange and green and yellow, and was delighted with the results. Funny thing, it started out as a scrap buster, and turned into a favorite!

Aurora 02-11-2010 07:24 AM

I love earth and jewel tones with a bit of splash. No pastels, they drain my aura and weaken me. I am energized by the colors of the sunrise, sunset and earth.

Pat and pups 02-11-2010 07:35 AM

I like blue and green together. Also orange and yellow together. But no one else does so I don't get to use them often enough.

Katrine 02-11-2010 08:07 AM

I now look at colours in a different way since I started quilting, and also enjoy seeing how other people use them. I don't dismiss anything but seem to have more blues than anything else!

scrappylouisa 02-11-2010 08:35 AM

chris_quilts Your kitty is almost a twin to my Misty. Very beautiful.

Laura Li Welcome to the quilting forum.

I would have to say my favorite colors for quilts is red, black, white and gray. I was in a swap with some of the ladies from the forum and that was the colors I chose for my blocks.

I love all the colors of the rainbow except yellow. Yellow was my mother's color and she carried it to the extreme so I grew to dislike it.

I use mostly prints and few solids in my quilt projects.

grandma Janice 02-11-2010 09:11 AM

I'm a scrap Quilt lover so I like lots of different prints of all colors. I would never make a bright quilt. I tend to love pastel colors. My favorite colors are blues and purples. as far a orange, I love the autumn rusts and pale oranges but bright orange turns me off.

Welcome Laura Li