Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cotton Blend?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cotton-blend-t118519.html)

rexie 04-24-2011 02:00 PM

Do you all use cotton blend? I have the opportunity to get some cotton blend and don't know if that is suitable for quilting.

QuiltswithConvicts 04-24-2011 02:07 PM

From past experience, I have not had good luck with cotton/poly blends. For starters, they don't make a nice crisp crease when pressing. They also have a tendency to beard - batting comes through over time & pills all over the blend's surface. I made a king-size Trip Around the World back in the early 80s - before I knew what I was doing. The pilling drove me crazy as I was using one of those sweater shavers on it all the time.

I also think they dull your blades more quickly & same for your machine needles.

This is just my opinion.

rexie 04-24-2011 02:10 PM

There are some nice looking fabrics on e-bay but they are cotton blends and I was afraid to buy them without getting to touch first.

Holice 04-24-2011 02:33 PM

Cotton blends can be used. However, there are cautions when using them. What is the fibre content. Is it 80 poly and 20 cotton. These are thinner and strange to work with.
They also will shrink if too hot an iron is used. Putting them with all cotton is also chancy as the difference in weight of fabric can be irritating to work with.
I would not do it unless you can touch the fabric and know it is the same weight as other fabrics. Not worth the aggrivation.

LAB55 04-24-2011 02:42 PM

I use cotton blend, but I do scrappy type and some of my fabric is from old clothing.
Holice is right about the ironing & different feel & weight of fabric.
I try to make a sample block to see how it looks, if good I cut more, if not I choose other fabrics. :-)

4dogs 04-24-2011 02:48 PM

I have used the poly/cotton blends for a lot of the Linus quilts.........and havent had a problem........maybe because I am using ALL the same blend in the quilt, not mixing things.......

Rumbols 04-24-2011 02:56 PM

I love the cotton/poly blends for making doll clothes but don't use any in my quilts. From the other comments, It looks like you could if you use all the same for the whole quilt. Good luck.

Marion T 04-24-2011 03:07 PM

I don't use in my quilts, but I do use for pillowcases and cushion covers. I don't use cotton and poly cotton blend together.

ckcowl 04-24-2011 04:37 PM

are you talking about cotton/poly batting???
or a cotton blend fabric?
you can use any fabric you want to= you need to pay attention to care instructions- beyond that you can put it together...in other words- if one fabric is dry clean only and one is throw it in the washer and dryer- you probably don't want to put them together- if however everything can be cared for the same it works.
i mix cottons and wools alot-and silks-

Eva Knight 04-24-2011 05:03 PM

I use cotton blends all the time. No problem that I wouldn't have using cotton. I use spray starch, press, and do all that is expected when making a good quality quilt.